Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Which is the better brand? Resmed or Respironics
RE: Which is the better brand? Resmed or Respironics
Believe me there's nothing going to happen if your EPAP crosses 20cm except some more events might disappear.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Better can subjective. 

Where the respironics beats the resmed:
1. Ease of setup (intuitive menus)
2. Easier to manage humidifier (for me)
3. “Softer algorithm”
4. Wifi and modem modules
5. Less expensive

Where the resmed beats the respironics:
1. Quieter unit
2. More things that can be set to auto (humidifier, tube temp) 
3. Two selectable algorithms for responding to events (3 if you count the “for her”)
4. Faster response time to events
5. Smaller footprint
6. Better filter setup (and selectable filters)
7. Finer tuning on the humidifier
8. Auto start/stop
Post Reply Post Reply
IMHO-

1.  Resmed machines are better than Respironics.  The UI is better.  The engineering is better.  The noise level and quality is more pleasing to my ear.  The machine has a more solid look and feel.  The therapy options are better.  The documentation, both for doctors and patients is better.  

I particularly like that ResMed's EPR is roughly the equivalent of giving you a Bi-Pap with Pressure Support limited to 1.0, 2.0, or 3.0cm of water, while the Respironics EPR is roughly the equivalent to their Bi-Pap but the Pressure Relief is fixed at 2.0cm of water.

One advantage of the Respironics is that you can disconnect the Respironics humidifier to make it much smaller, but I noticed that the machine got quite a bit louder.

2.  Respironics is generally cheaper.  This is highly dependent upon where you go, but on the grey market, a brand new Respironics DreamStation Auto can go for as low as $375.00, while a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet is about $550.00.

3.  If you're sure you don't need a Bi-Level (or you only need a bilevel with pressure support of 1.0, 2.0, or 3.0 cm), you should get the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her.  

It's ostensibly for women, but what that means is that it is white instead of black and offers an additional "for her" mode in addition to the standard modes (for everybody).  You can often find it cheaper than the standard "Autoset" (which is the same as the "for her" model except that it is black and doesn't have the "for her" mode), which I assume is because most CPAP users are male and they either don't want the "for her" model or assume it won't work for them (even though it has the standard autoset and CPAP modes just like the black model)
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2017, 02:38 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: Both are good machines.
 Respronics is more forgiving of leaks.

And can be run from a 12 v battery,  or a plain modified wave generator if power fails or your traveling camping etc.

Resmed you cannot do that without invertors .

Respironics is cheaper with a full 2 yr warranty.

You don't need inverters for Resmed (never, ever use inverters!).  But you do need their proprietary $100 USD DC-DC converter brick. The DC-DC converters are pretty energy efficient so you don't run into the wasted power issues you have with inverters, but the little boxes are pricey.

To me, that is an idicatoin of evil-heartedness at ResMed and I try to avoid them (I do have an S-8 Autoset II as a travel machine and an S-9 (I didn't know better at the time) that I will someday put back in the rotation just so it doesn't go to waste.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Arios,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy and also with your machine decision.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2017, 04:06 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Believe me there's nothing going to happen if your EPAP crosses 20cm except some more events might disappear.

I don't want to take this thread too far off topic, but it's stuck in my head from medical residency not to use a PEEP over 20.  I'm concerned about possible contributions to barotrauma, glaucoma, increased ICP, etc, in the long run.  

After all, we don't have long term outcomes data from BPAP for OSA with EPAPs over 20, do we?  I also recall concerns about V/Q mismatch when using PEEP in the prone position, and I have a tendency to sleep prone.
Post Reply Post Reply
I looked it up. The 20 cm limit is for invasive ventilators. That's a whole different animal.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
If you use airline travel very often, Redmed has the best carrying case--flatter more like a chunky briefcase. The PR case is a larger rectangle--I have a PR, my husband a Resmed. Luckily I don't fly--he does occasionally. Certainly not one of the most important points to consider when choosing a brand, however.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the PR DreamStation BiPAP Auto earlier this year, and now have the ResMed ASV. I researched what the ASV was capable of doing; it is the device for most central apnea patients. I chose the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV because it was noted by some users to be more responsive and with more natural support to the user. It seems to respond very well to me personally. The DreamStation BiPAP was excellent, and if I were issued its brother the ASV, I PROBABLY would be fine with it. But I made the choice that ResMed ASV was my choice and I made it happen when ASV was prescribed.

Dave
lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2017, 09:20 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: You don't need inverters for Resmed (never, ever use inverters!).  But you do need their proprietary $100 USD DC-DC converter brick. The DC-DC converters are pretty energy efficient so you don't run into the wasted power issues you have with inverters, but the little boxes are pricey.

OhMy - don't mean to take this thread off-topic, but I'm just wondering why you state "never, ever use inverters"? I know they can be inefficient because of the conversion from a lower voltage to 120 volts.

I have a relative who is totally off-grid using solar power, a battery bank and a very large household inverter for all his power needs. Surely your advice wouldn't apply there, correct?

Just wondering if there's another reason for your statement - or is it simply the inefficiency issue?
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,027 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 228 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 783 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Brand new to this Cheesedream 53 2,504 02-09-2024, 08:12 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 671 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,401 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  Philips Respironics DreamStation not reaching Max Pressure Xsoldier2000 15 2,293 01-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Tom Buck

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.