Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Which machine and which settings are ideal for UARS?
Which machine and which settings are ideal for UARS?
I suspect I have UARS in addition to complex sleep apnea. I've analyzed my flow rate. It was also noted I had more RERAs than apneas in my sleep study; I had next to no obstructive apneas. I currently only have an APAP with pressure setting 5-6. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Which machine and which settings are ideal for UARS?
"Complex sleep apnea" as in you have central apneas, including during your sleep study?

If yes, ASV is the typical recommended solution; excellent for both conditions.

But it's expensive, and hard to get insurance approval for.
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes I had central apneas during my sleep study. They were mostly clustered together so I wasn't given a diagnosis of complex sleep apnea. However I assumed because my centrals skyrocketed after being put on APAP pressure 4-15 that I have complex apnea. Centrals are still an issue at least going by OSCAR but they're fairly clustered together as in the sleep study. My flow rate looks really strange however, and I have customized user events which pop up. Do you still think ASV is warranted? It's been very challenging to get a prescription and I haven't yet been able to.

Also how do you like the Dreamport? I'm going to give mine another try tonight.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-05-2020, 05:55 PM)Universeonwheels Wrote: Yes I had central apneas during my sleep study. They were mostly clustered together so I wasn't given a diagnosis of complex sleep apnea. However I assumed because my centrals skyrocketed after being put on APAP pressure 4-15 that I have complex apnea. Centrals are still an issue at least going by OSCAR but they're fairly clustered together as in the sleep study. My flow rate looks really strange however, and I have customized user events which pop up. Do you still think ASV is warranted? It's been very challenging to get a prescription and I haven't yet been able to.

I'm going to defer to others with expertise on CSA for this (I don't know what to make of that clustering, for example). 

It would help to post your OSCAR charts, though, since it will give them more info to go on.

On the Bleep, love it. I did modify it to use a more flexible hose and add a diffuser, which makes it virtually silent. And I get zero leaks.
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sure:

Post Reply Post Reply
The ASV is the right answer when CA enters the picture. My approval needed 50% or higher CA to other apnea on the Sleep Study. I also had the history of a prior CPAP and BPAP failure, but not an ST fail because I pushed hard on ASV for centrals. I purposefully did not mention ST and maybe I got a shortcut there. Fail on CPAP was attempting to exhale on a straight CPAP set to 18 with no Flex or EPR meant exhale was work. BPAP made CA go through the roof. Both no go. And both these were Respironics. The ASV is ResMed because I read here it's the best choice, and my experience says it is as long as you're only dealing with apnea related issues. I cannot use the ASV now as COPD has gotten worse.

If the ASV is what you're after, shop for used if you have to. There are sites that have them out there.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm really trying to get to the bottom of this because I'm in not so good a place.            
Post Reply Post Reply
I have another appointment with my sleep doc on Friday. If he doesn't bump up my sleep study to be sooner or prescribe me an ASV I will indeed go the used-without-a-prescription route.
Post Reply Post Reply
We can see the problem with all those UF1-2 events, but the sleep study protocols are very rigid and won't count them because the duration is less than 10 seconds. You might want to discuss them with your doctor up front and how these clusters of apparently central breathing pauses disrupt your sleep and comfort. You are using low, fixed pressure and that is the best way to control the CA events. Standard protocol for a titration study will start with the same low fixed pressure and not find enough events to justify evaluating higher pressure or bilevel, let alone advanced therapy like ASV. I guess the objective here is to skip straight to an ASV titration. That would be unusual, but good luck.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also suspect UARS and have just gone the user with no prescription route. I bought a Dreamstation Bilevel. Any tips for setting up the first night?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 918 3 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 153 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 58 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  New Machine and settings not working snapperzz 3 93 03-26-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: snapperzz
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 616 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 193 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 78 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.