Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Which mask to use when stuffed up (from a cold)?
Which mask to use when stuffed up (from a cold)?
My new mask and cushion allotment via insurance is available this month and I need to hurry and order something. 

Which mask would you recommend that I try out at my DME's office that would address difficulty breathing (due to being stuffed up)? Normally, I take fisherman's cough drops when I have a cold, but the menthol level is high enough that 3-4 in a row will make my tongue and mouth feel raw. Definitely does help, though.

Currently on Brevida. Would want a recommendation of a non-foam mask as it will be in storage for most of the year.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Which mask to use when stuffed up (from a cold)?
A FFM that covers your mouth, so you can breathe through your mouth as needed.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed AirFit F20 is a great full face mask. The silicone cushion seems to last for ever. I've been using the same one nightly forv2.5 years. Don;r get the AirTouch F20. It has a memory foam seal that doesn't hold up as well.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
The ResMed Airfit F30 is also a good choice, and it's nice that you can wear your glasses with the mask on.  I prefer it to the F20 but everyone's face shape is different.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have both the AirFit F20 and F30. As well as I've done with the F20, the F30 works out a bit better for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2019, 09:04 AM)GuyScharf Wrote: The ResMed Airfit F30 is also a good choice, and it's nice that you can wear your glasses with the mask on.  I prefer it to the F20 but everyone's face shape is different.

Second the F30 for glasses.  It is super convenient that I can put my glasses on if I need to.  ResMed's QuietAir Elbo makes it super quiet too.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've only ever used the airfit p10 nasal pillow so I can't speak to how it compares. however, it's been my understanding and my experience that the nasal pillow is good for congestion insofar as pressure directly into the nose 'blasts' through it. in almost 3 years I've never not been able to breathe through congestion with the nasal pillow. I'd think your brevida would be the same. otoh, although it hasn't happened to me yet, I can imagine being so stuffed up that mouth breathing would be required and to my knowledge only a ffm will do for that.
Post Reply Post Reply
In a year of using CPAP, I have never needed to use a FFM because of congestion. A little flonase has always taken care of any issues, with any mask. I have problems with mouth leaks and aerophagia with the P10, which is otherwise a great mask (excepting the headgear getting loose all the time).
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2019, 01:05 PM)sheepless Wrote: I've only ever used the airfit p10 nasal pillow so I can't speak to how it compares.  however, it's been my understanding and my experience that the nasal pillow is good for congestion insofar as pressure directly into the nose 'blasts' through it.  in almost 3 years I've never not been able to breathe through congestion with the nasal pillow.  I'd think your brevida would be the same.  otoh, although it hasn't happened to me yet, I can imagine being so stuffed up that mouth breathing would be required and to my knowledge only a ffm will do for that.

This has been my experience as well.  I've never had the experience where my P10 Nasal Pillows were NOT able to plow through any colds or allergy sinus congestion I have ever had.  Especially with proper humidification.  I don't feel the need to own a FFM.  But your mileage may vary.
Post Reply Post Reply
When congested, I tend to use higher pressure support which makes breathing through the congestion easier.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tips for continuing PAP through a cold Bostonsnow 4 547 07-28-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,639 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Head cold Barbara.Levitan 2 608 03-10-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,318 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  [Equipment] Cold-weather camping? tundranapper 4 890 05-26-2022, 07:23 AM
Last Post: RNeil
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,884 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  High pressures causing/worsening cold symptoms Chalkie 4 832 11-26-2021, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Chalkie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.