Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Which one of these is best for bipap?
Which one of these is best for bipap?
Looking to hire a bipap to see if it helps my son, after his trial was cancelled yesterday Sad
We can't afford to buy outright and I can't find anything on ebay UK.
Looking at hiring from here, but they don't have Resmed or Phillips. 
Which of these are the best bet for downloading data to Oscar?
The cheaper the better as we don't know if it will help or not.
He needs a humidifier and auto bipap. 
Thank you Smile

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed search Sleep-tight in UK

To maintain our status as an educational organization, certain types of commercial links are prohibited in this forum.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Which one of these is best for bipap?
In this difficult time with the pandemic, it is going to be very hard to keep appointments with doctors or to do sleep studies. The link to a commercial entity like or DME"sleep-tight in UK" that rents CPAP or BiPAP is not allowed by our rules, however looking at the choices, I am not familiar with most of the brands, and the ones I recognize are second-tier. Hoffrichter, Respcare, Resmart, Respircare, Sepray, and the Fisher Pakel Sleepcute is very expensive. None of these is supported by open source software like OSCAR and the rental rates seem very high. I'd really rather see you look elaewhere at machines that are supported in software so you can monitor the therapy. I know money is tight, but for about 10-12 months of rent, you could buy the Resmed S9 VPAP S or VPAP auto from Supplier #2.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You do not say why the trial was canceled or if your child did not exhibit symptoms severe enough to maintain coverage or use of the machine. I would suggest you speak with the appropriate doctor before you engage in treating your child.

I am not suggesting that you should not be proactive, but experimenting with your child may be ill-advised.

I can see you are in the UK where the rules are different under your National Health program. I wish you and your child the best of luck.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Sleeprider. My concern is the postage cost to UK, will find out what that is, and customs charges. In the UK we don't pay tax on medical equipment but no idea how this works for importing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2020, 03:39 AM)BunnyMummy Wrote: Thank you Sleeprider. My concern is the postage cost to UK, will find out what that is, and customs charges. In the UK we don't pay tax on medical equipment but no idea how this works for importing.

On import you need to allow about 20% charge for duty and handling charges
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know if importing a "gently used" machine might reduce the potential taxes. The best bet is to call Supplier #2. They are very good on the phone and have a lot of experience in export. Many members of this forum across the World have used them to save substantial money over what devices cost in their countries, and SecondwindCPAP has demonstrated a very high level of service and warranty to new and used machines that are exported.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you we have gone ahead and ordered from number two!

Ironic that if I had known how things would go I could have done this 6 weeks ago rather than wait for an appointment that hasn't happened and save a lot of stress, oh to have a crystal ball!

I can't post the results from my sons psg on here, as I have run out of allowance for attachments. The notes at the bottom when I got a copy said he has periodic limb movements preceded by episodes of shallow breathing that don't qualify to be scored. I'm guessing (that's all it is a guess) he breathes shallowly, then wakes, then hyperventilation occurs as he wakes up. Geer1 has compared his sleep from Oscar on the night to the study which proves he was awake during hyperventilation. I didn't think to do this!

As appointments for just about anything are cancelled now, we may as well try this and see how we get on, nothing to loose only money on the never never, and can always sell on.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2020, 01:22 AM)srlevine1 Wrote: You do not say why the trial was canceled or if your child did not exhibit symptoms severe enough to maintain coverage or use of the machine. I would suggest you speak with the appropriate doctor before you engage in treating your child.

I am not suggesting that you should not be proactive, but experimenting with your child may be ill-advised.

I can see you are in the UK where the rules are different under your National Health program. I wish you and your child the best of luck.

There is another very lengthy thread on here about our woes, it was cancelled because of the coronavirus, we don't really know if it will help or not as we can't get a definite diagnosis of what is going on yet...
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats on getting the new machine  I think the investment is much better than renting a secondary brand at the prices from your link.  You are not the first to find the NHS is a system designed to limit healthcare rather than improve it, although essential services are available to everyone.

Regarding Attachment space, you are a "preferred member" as explained here http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-explained  Preferred Members have unlimited attachment space, but file sizes are limited to 700 kilobytes for image files and 1 MB for other file types (see attachment chart here).

Preferred Members have 90 minutes to edit their post from the time it's first posted

You should have adequate attachment space, provided the attachment meets the size limits. If not, let me know.

Good luck with the new machine.  At the pressures being used by your son, it should be more comfortable and support his ventilation demands. ; We can pick up the discussion of the specifics in that therapy thread.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
BunnyMummy watch your phone and emails for a message from the carrier for a web link to pay the import duties when the machine arrives in the UK. The duty is based on 20% of the purchase price declared by Supplier #2 plus and assumed postage cost and a handling fee. If paid promptly it does not delay the shipping in any way.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 259 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help with bipap Al N 7 697 09-14-2023, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Al N
  Fixed pressure BIPAP vrs Auto BIPAP (UARS) tugboatxd 0 690 03-29-2023, 04:13 PM
Last Post: tugboatxd
  Dreamstation BiPAP AutoSV VS BiPAP S/T? racprops 1 522 08-07-2022, 11:25 PM
Last Post: LindanHotAir
  Can a BiPAP user use a CPAP if BiPAP not aviable? jdelcore71 6 1,174 06-17-2022, 08:42 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  Do I need BiPAP subin 6 986 12-08-2020, 09:22 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.