Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Which pulse oximeter to buy
Which pulse oximeter to buy
bump for an old thread .. sooo what's the best pulse oximeter to purchase?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pulse Oximeter CMS-50D+
I bought a CMS50F from Supplier #19; review threads are
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...er-CMS-50F and
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-bluetooth

The pulse sensor is very secure on my finger, and the clock is reasonably accurate. The CMS50F has its FDA approvals; unfortunately the manual and software supplied is not the greatest. Fortunately, SleepyHead does read the data with minimal problems which are easy to get around.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you shop around, the CMS-50D+ price is hard to beat. Be sure you have the PLUS model.

I also prefer the CMS-50D+ over some of the others because it uses regular batteries. Any pulseox with rechargeable batteries is going to stop working in a few years when the batteries wear out, especially if you don't charge it for a few months.

I think the higher model CMS oximeters are better if the price is worth it to you.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
be aware that the 50d+ appetite for batteries is huge... about three nights per set of alkalines.
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought a CMS50D+ a month or so ago. It seems to work fine. I find it annoyingly large and heavy, though. To me, it's like sleeping with a lobster attached to my index finger.

I've only used it for two nights.

Some people seem to find it perfectly okay for wearing while sleeping.

I would prefer to have a CMS50F and am debating whether I "need" it. If you look at pics of the sensor that goes with it vs. having the CMS50D+ attached to your finger, I think you'll see what I mean.

The prices for the two when I was looking at them 2-3 weeks ago are about $36 and $105.

(05-01-2016, 02:16 PM)_cy_ Wrote: bump for an old thread .. sooo what's the best pulse oximeter to purchase?

Post Reply Post Reply
you can get the cms50i for under 100$ from aliexpress, though it may take some poking around in the search results. (I figure it's ok to mention aliexpress, since people mention amazon)
Post Reply Post Reply
I did see it there for $95. That was also where I saw it for $105. That was my first time to browse aliexpress.

(05-02-2016, 03:04 PM)palerider Wrote: you can get the cms50i for under 100$ from aliexpress, though it may take some poking around in the search results. (I figure it's ok to mention aliexpress, since people mention amazon)

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2016, 07:34 PM)palerider Wrote: be aware that the 50d+ appetite for batteries is huge... about three nights per set of alkalines.

Rechargeable AAA's are fairly cheap. Also, if you sleep next to the computer, if you leave the USB cable plugged in, it doesn't use up the batteries.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Which pulse oximeter to buy
I bought a CMS50d from Amazon. When I held my breath the o2 level went up. I sent it back for refund.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Which pulse oximeter to buy
I have had great experience w/CMS 50F, recording oximeter worn like a wristwatch. Have taken it to appt at doctor's offices to test against "real" oximeters and it tracks perfectly. Data displays on the watch face and it connects w/reasonable length of wire to a very lightweight sensor that clamps on a finger and stays secure. Though watch is a little cluncky in size, it is lightweight and stays put very well. Batteries are rechargeable, but it doesn't seem to need a recharge too often - takes about 5 or 6 days before the battery indicator starts showing the charge is reducing. Seems to take a few hours to charge up to a full load at that point. Manual isn't great but I could figure things out pretty quickly in spite of being a Tyrannosaurus Tech, a term we elders coined for ourselves in response to being termed "dinosaurs" by a wiseguy hipster who worked in the I.T. dept. where I worked before I retired 2012. Reportedly the device will give you its data in wonderful ways via bluetooth, but I don't understand bluetooth w/Windows 10, so I, instead, print copies of the oximetry reports the monitor software generates, and print 1 or 2 as pdfs to bring along to appointments to show typical nights to the doctor. One caution - the "watch" doesn't respond well to being accidently dropped onto hard surfaces, but worked like a champ for months before that calamity. Was impressed enough overall to buy the same model as a replacement, and expect the new one I bought to arrive today. FYI, sheds some interesting light on my overall situation - some mornings the oximeter shows I had saturation events whereas the CPAP shows AHI, total AI and central AI to each be 0.0. Some nights CPAP has recorded AHIs at 0.1, 0.2, and 0.4, though per the oximeter, there were no events on these nights where saturation went below 95%. Is not likely that I went to bed w/saturation of 98% and had changes in breathing that just didn't happen to drop the sat by at least 4% - I think it is more likely I had really good nights but CPAP misinterpreted a cough or my unintentionally holding my breath while wrangling with pillows or trying to figure out what unseen though audible mischief the dog was getting into.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,216 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,769 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 89 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
Question Oximeter Sensitivity mhjunk525 1 151 03-02-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 202 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 671 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 229 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.