Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Which version of M$ Word?
So it has been mandated that I have to get Word. I hate it. Hate. It. Hate that I have to do it, hate that it wasn't discussed first. I also hate that I was the only one with ovaries big enough to protest. And since I was the only one, the rule wasn't changed. I can continue to write with OpenOffice but edits have to be done with Word. Angry

The mandate came down several months ago but the deadline is looming. I need to start edits. I could lie and say I am using Word. How would they know? If the alleged issues continue, we can blame Word. (which I think is the cause of the problems, not OpenOffice) LOL I am sooo tempted. But I can't lie. I always get caught or it comes back to bite me in the patootie.

There's just Word for about $100 or so. But it's just for one PC so I can't put it on my laptop, too.

There's the Office Suite with Word and its friends for anywhere from $139 - 219. But again, only one PC.

And there's this Office 365 which seems to be some sort of yearly subscription service. Starts out at $99 and goes from there. I can't find anywhere about how much it costs per year after that. But you can have it on 5 PCs and 5 smaller devices like tablets and smart phones. They even have an Android version.

Anyone have any advice on which one? All I really want is Word, although OneNote sounds interesting. I use OpenOffice for everything else. I have no interest at all in the rest of the Office Suite. But I want to be able to put it on the laptop and my desktop. On the other hand, I'll only be using it for editing. I could limit all editing to here at my desk or just the laptop.

Gah, I like the multi-platform but I don't like being tied to the god Microsoft.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
12-16-2014 02:35 AM
Find all posts by this user

Donate to Apnea Board
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Which version of M$ Word?
Word has been all downhill since '95. M$ do offer very generous academic discounts, so if you are affiliated with a school or college you can get it dirt cheap. I'm afraid I don't know about the various flavours you mentioned - I'm on an "enterprise" licence.

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
12-16-2014 05:33 AM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

I use Office 2007. I have retail editions of Office 2007 Pro. They go for about $300 at this time.
I won't use 2010 or 2013 as they are MS's "click-to-run." They do not install using the MSI installer; nor do they update over MS update.
2013 is butt ugly.

One question is: Do they require your files to be in docx format? If so, you need 2007 or later.
MS has just loosened up on their licensing of Office 2013. It was tied to a single machine. Now they will permit it to be moved as long as it's only used on a single machine.

As much as I dislike Office 2013, I think for your purpose, using Office 365 would be the way to go.

12-16-2014 07:36 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15

Other Comments:

If you can still get Office 2010 then you have 3 licenses... which is what I use - one on my PC, one on my laptop and one on the Better Two-Third's laptop.
12-16-2014 11:03 AM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

LibreOffice (free, open source) allows you to save in the MS Doc formats, including the newer .docx for Word 2007/2010/2013.

Will they accept that?

I have mine set up to save all docs in MS Doc format automagically.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

12-16-2014 11:23 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset

I'll look for a Word 2010 then.

And SS, it has to be Word. Apache OpenOffice (AOO) handles .doc just fine but allegedly, there are issues with formatting when taking a document written in AOO or LibreOffice and opening it in Word. For example, my editor upgraded after she had finished her edits but before she had sent the document to me. She opened it again, did a few things, and then sent it. When I got it, all her edits through track changes said *I* had made the changes, not her. Only the ones she had done after the upgrade said she had done them. They had her timestamps but my name so edits were a PITA. I did my part and sent it back. It went downhill from there. None of it was AOO's fault. But the publisher feels that if everyone was working with the same program during edits, it would eliminate some of the problems.

I get the feeling there are others using AOO who are not following the formatting rules and in order to get them to comply, everyone has to do this. We can write it in whatever we want but when we work with the editors, it has to be Word.

I've been fuming over this for months and put it off until the last minute. And like I said, I bet I could keep using AOO and they'd never know. I just, you know, have this compulsion to kinda not have something not blow up in my face.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

12-16-2014 01:29 PM
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

I run Office 365 (Office 2013) via subscription and it works for me. I have 5 licenses to use and am running 3 systems - 2 windows and 1 Mac. In addition, I have fully working versions on my iPad. While some folks may say it is free on the iPad, the free version is reader only. The other good deal with it is I have an unlimited (size wise) online storage in One Drive - however, it is limited to 22,000 +/- files. I also have LibreOffice installed on all three systems, but have found that I need Office especially for PowerPoint. I am the prime slide builder for our church services. I do also have the web versions of Apples Pages, Numbers, and Keynote as well as the full versions on my Mac.

Now, if I can figure out how to automatically spell check within a table in Word for Mac, I'll be in business.

Homer
12-16-2014 05:55 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Buck up and get the full version by hook or by crook. Don't go for the subscription service. The subscription model will screw us all if MicroShaft makes it stick.

One partial solution would be to get one copy for one of the machines. Edit on the other machine, then open it on the Word machine, make some minor edit, such as adding a space, and then save it in "real" Word format.

Not sure that's worth the trouble, but it might be workable, at least until you find out whether it causes any problems.

Piracy might seem attractive, but the stuff that lets you pirate stuff like this, often has malware.

We really do need to put an end to the MicroShaft monopoly., but sometimes the forces of the great Satan are too strong for us individuals to fight.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
12-18-2014 11:15 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset

I've been hearing of some messed up documents. I know Drive messed up a few of mine so I don't use any cloud service but the one through my webhost. And even then its just for backup and not for file transfer. For that I use FTP.

And yes, I hate MS.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

12-19-2014 12:25 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

Archangle,

The subscription model is good if you have to load it on more than one machine. For me (3 machines) it works out quite well. You can also have an authorized user and that will use one of your 5 licenses. So, if you are going to upgrade very three or four years with multiple machines, this is the way to go.

If you can swing it, another "legal" way to get it is their Home Use program where you essentially pay for the DVD. You have to do the initial ordering via your work email and go from there. It is technically only for the period you work for that company, but when you leave, there is no check and balance on whether you remove it from your computer or not.

When I worked for Boeing we had Office on a site license which let anyone who worked for the company have a copy. That was real real.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Homer
12-19-2014 01:19 PM
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Ohmy Why are people starting sentences with the word "So..."? SuperSleeper 57 3,664 05-27-2016 07:10 PM
Last Post: me50
  new version of 'excitement' GrammaBear 10 928 08-05-2015 11:05 AM
Last Post: archangle
  PDF to Word Converter me50 8 1,061 07-14-2015 04:43 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  How to convert pdf to word? Alanw12 6 2,520 05-21-2012 09:32 PM
Last Post: mckevin32