Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Whistling CPAP
Question 
Whistling CPAP
I have been using a CPAP (auto pap) with great success for 8 years. I still have the same machine but, lately, I have been awakened by a whistle that doesn’t start until I place the mask on my face. My mask (nasal mask) is not leaking, my hoses are in good shape, and I am not wheezing. Is it time for a new machine?  Huh
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Whistling CPAP
Which CPAP machine do you have? There is no such thing as a Phillips Resmed. There's are Phillips Respironics Dream Stations and there's are ResMeds. Two different manufacturers.

My ResMed was whistling the other night and to fix it I removed the water tank and re-inserted it. I think it was leaking around the water tank seals.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You’re absolutely right. It is a Phillips Respironics Dream Station. I’ve used it for about 7-8 years. This started 2 nights ago. I have reseated the water tank and it still whistles. If, after checking everything including mask fit (fine), hosed and fittings, it still whistles, I’m calling my pulmonologist for a prescription. Right now, everything is drying after being washed. 
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Does the whistle occur during inhalation? Could be motor whine (bad bearing or something), had that occur with my first Resmed Autoset (different machine) and at 8 years you may be approaching end of life.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've begun to notice that my CPAP machine will begin to "wheeze" when it's water reservoir gets low. It's never done that in the past. 

I thought that maybe it was my mask, and I tried to reposition it and ends up being of no help. One night, not too long ago, my wife thought the noise was coming from outside the house, and to her, it sounded like an animal crying out. 

The water reservoir has only run dry a few times since I started therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quite a few people have reported a whistling sound. Look down a bit for the "possibly related threads"
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thumbsup 
Yes! It is worse when I inhale. Guess my Medicare Advantage plan better get ready to spend some money.  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
When you inhale the blower turns faster and there is more flow. Hard to say without hearing it but could be motor whine or some other whistle that gets amplified by more flow. If it is not the motor it is probably a hole or failed seal somewhere.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the suggestions. I have checked all hoses and fittings, checked my mask for leaks, checked the water tank chamber and even changed out the hoses. I can lean over the machine when it’s running and hear that squeal inside the body of the CPAP, itself. I am due a new one.
Post Reply Post Reply
If they are going to issue a new Cpap I would suggest a ResMed S10 autoset.  I owned a dreamstation for 5 years and the ResMed made a very positive therapy.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed 10 whistling Jim Logan 2 409 11-19-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Jim Logan
  [Equipment] Phillips Dreamwear mask is whistling melody 2 610 09-26-2023, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Whistling Airsense 10 - Not the humidifier Sugarvenom 3 1,278 02-25-2021, 08:35 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Whistling 'eeee' noise susilosaja 12 10,826 02-26-2020, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Damiansd
  Ear whistling - CPAP machine SleepMelb 4 1,363 06-22-2019, 11:40 AM
Last Post: mesenteria
  Whistling noise through the vent holes Slugger 4 6,461 05-15-2019, 03:39 PM
Last Post: 3rdMarDiv
  Whistling noise jskjr 4 2,977 03-05-2019, 02:13 PM
Last Post: mesenteria

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.