Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro FX
Humidifier: DreamStation
CPAP Pressure: 18
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Whistling Simplus FF Mask
I have one of these masks for a few weeks and just started using it with a ResMed AutoSense 10 last Monday. I also use a chin strap with it, but don't know the manufacturer. The ResMed AutoSense was setup with a 15-18 cm pressure per the Dr's order. Previously I had been using a REMstar Pro M series with a max setting of 16 cm with this mask with no problems.

Here's my question. Occasionally during the night I get a whistling sound from the F&P ffm. At times it takes on the frequency change that sounds similar to today's police sirens, but at a much slower rate. If I rotate the mask part that attaches the hose I can make the sound go away, but am not sure that by itself solves the problem. I have a theory that it is more linked to my maximum pressure of 18 cm. According the SH I reach my maximum pressure randomly for short periods of time.

Otherwise my experience with the ResMed AutoSense 10 is very good.

Anyone have this experience? I am wondering if the mask is defective.
11-14-2014 12:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

RE: Fisher & Paykel's Simplus FF Mask
I used the F&P Zest nasal mask for a while. My pressure is 20 cm/H2O. I would get the whistling from the vents periodically. In my case, if I wiped the outside of the vent holes with my finger it would stop the whistling at least temporarily.

Someone else on this forum encountered the same type of problem and found that the vent holes had irregular diameters inside the plastic. The diameters looked OK from the outside. The reported problem was probably caused by either worn drill bits or a build-up on the cores in the die that formed the main part of the mask. Either way, it is poor manufacturing practice.

I could not think of any way to stop the problem that I had without changing the venting rate which I was concerned might have ramifications elsewhere in the operation of the CPAP. I currently use a Resmed FFM that never whistles.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
11-14-2014 12:33 PM
Asjb Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Aircurve 10 CS Pacewave ASV. Before 11/2015 Airsense 10 Auto
Mask Make & Model: FP Simplus & Remzzzs liner
Humidifier: Integral
CPAP Pressure: Current info in this post

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Whistling Simplus FF Mask
(11-14-2014 12:00 PM)Azor Wrote:  I have one of these masks for a few weeks and just started using it with a ResMed AutoSense 10 last Monday. I also use a chin strap with it, but don't know the manufacturer. The ResMed AutoSense was setup with a 15-18 cm pressure per the Dr's order. Previously I had been using a REMstar Pro M series with a max setting of 16 cm with this mask with no problems.

Here's my question. Occasionally during the night I get a whistling sound from the F&P ffm. At times it takes on the frequency change that sounds similar to today's police sirens, but at a much slower rate. If I rotate the mask part that attaches the hose I can make the sound go away, but am not sure that by itself solves the problem. I have a theory that it is more linked to my maximum pressure of 18 cm. According the SH I reach my maximum pressure randomly for short periods of time.

Hello. I had the same problem with the Simplus but I was reluctant to change masks as I found it very comfortable. I eventually realised the whistling was due to air being forced through a damp expiratory 'plate' and all was sorted by eliminating condensation with a heated hose ( set to a high temperature, e.g. 30 degrees centigrade, if you have a cold bedroom) or by reducing the humidity level. I currently use the airsense climate hose, temp at 30 degC and humidity level of 8. No whistling for months! Hope this helps.

03-31-2015 01:27 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Azor Offline

Members

Machine: DreamStation
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro FX
Humidifier: DreamStation
CPAP Pressure: 18

Other Comments:

(03-31-2015 01:27 PM)Asjb Wrote:  
(11-14-2014 12:00 PM)Azor Wrote:  I have one of these masks for a few weeks and just started using it with a ResMed AutoSense 10 last Monday. I also use a chin strap with it, but don't know the manufacturer. The ResMed AutoSense was setup with a 15-18 cm pressure per the Dr's order. Previously I had been using a REMstar Pro M series with a max setting of 16 cm with this mask with no problems.

Hello. I had the same problem with the Simplus but I was reluctant to change masks as I found it very comfortable. I eventually realised the whistling was due to air being forced through a damp expiratory 'plate' and all was sorted by eliminating condensation with a heated hose ( set to a high temperature, e.g. 30 degrees centigrade, if you have a cold bedroom) or by reducing the humidity level. I currently use the airsense climate hose, temp at 30 degC and humidity level of 8. No whistling for months! Hope this helps.

Thank you for all your replies. I will look into the temp humidity settings. This is actually my wife's mask and lately it has not been a high frequency of occurrence problem.
05-13-2016 10:34 AM
Matt00926 Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 VAuto
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit 10 Medium
Humidifier: None
CPAP Pressure: 19/4

Other Comments:

I don't think it is the mask itself - I use the F&P Simplus with 20+ IPAP and it doesn't make that sound. Sometimes when I use humidity I get terrible sounds from moisture being stuck in the tubing.
05-14-2016 01:59 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0

Other Comments:

It is caused by a manufacturing defect that is not present on all masks. It seems like F&P has this problem more than Resmed or Philips Respironics.

Water stuck in the tubing is an easy fix by rerouting the hose so that is goes upward for at least 2 or 3 feet from the machine without any loops or sags. This way, any water that condenses in the vertical section of the hose will drain back down to the humidifier without causing the gurgling sound.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
05-14-2016 02:14 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New F&P Simplus user Roy289 18 759 10-18-2016 10:35 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Simplus FFM Pulls Upwards to Eyes During Sleep SleepySleeps 7 416 09-27-2016 03:14 AM
Last Post: rich2905
Question Dry Mouth with F&P Simplus FFM Snowbird47 7 474 09-08-2016 12:16 PM
Last Post: Snowbird47
  Setting up DreamStation with F&P Simplus mask question grahamwright1 4 514 08-19-2016 11:58 PM
Last Post: Ghost1958
  First Night using Simplus Mask SkinTone 17 831 08-14-2016 02:54 PM
Last Post: chill
  [Equipment] Mask issues (F&P Simplus Full Face) wocko1 5 591 08-02-2016 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Equipment] Simplus FFM loud and leaky? BeachyKeen 4 402 07-18-2016 07:32 AM
Last Post: DeepBreathing