Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Whistling air filter/Philips DreamStation
Whistling air filter/Philips DreamStation
Hello, everyone! I'm new to this forum, so please forgive me if this issue has already been addressed. I just started using a CPAP (Philips DreamStation with heated humidifier) about 5 days ago. Last night I noticed a whistling noise. I did some checking of the machine, and determined that it's coming from the air filter slot. When I took out the two filters the whistling stopped. These filters are less than a week old, so I can't imagine they need changed yet. They don't look dirty. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Thanks Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Whistling air filter/Philips DreamStation
Welcome

It sounds like either the frame was not in straight or all the way and air was whistling through the gap. I have had three of these machines and none made a whistling noise.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with chill. The only time my DreamStation has made any strange noises was when I didn't get the filter inserted right.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I replied earlier I had forgotten an incident that happened to me about three months ago. While taking my water tank out for cleaning I noticed a dark spot on the seal to the humidifier lid. I took that seal and the seal between the humidifier and the blower out and cleaned them as well. That night my machine did make a whining noise when I turned it on. On closer inspection I found I had either not reassembled the seal between the humidifier and blower property or I had knocked it loose when I put the tank in that night. In either case it wasn't allowing the humidifier lid to close well enough for the lid to seal well causing the noise. If the filter isn't the problem, one of the humidifier seals may be causing you a problem due to needing to be cleaned, improper assembly or being damaged.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
As it is a new machine, if the cause is not obvious to you, I would take it back to your supplier and ask them to fix or replace it. It should not whistle.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your responses. I fiddled with the air filters last night, and also pressed the seals around the filter and humidifier opening. And no whistling last night...yay!! I'm so glad I stumbled upon this site, as it is filled with so much information and from such helpful people! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
PurpleKite,
Welcome
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi PurpleKite,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's great to hear that you were able to fix the whistling in your machine.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to ApneaBoard PurpleKite! It is a great board with lots of helpful members!

Have you noticed you feel better since beginning CPAP therapy?
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,819 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,604 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,034 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 837 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Filter types vs. original for AirSense 10 fotjon 3 117 03-21-2024, 12:57 AM
Last Post: stevew168
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,063 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 372 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.