Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Whistling mask
Whistling mask
My latest problem is a whistling mask. I have the heated host on full blast, on setting 5, but my humidity is at setting 3. Seems like this is a lower setting, yet I get the mask whistle. If I go lower I get dry mouth. What am I doing wrong? The whistling sometimes doesn't happen.

I guess I will try lowering the humidity setting to 2?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Whistling mask
I don't think humidity has anything to do with the mask whistling. Dont-know
Are you experiencing leaks withyour mask? Or mabye need to use liners?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2016, 10:23 AM)OpalRose Wrote: I don't think humidity has anything to do with the mask whistling. Dont-know
Are you experiencing leaks withyour mask? Or mabye need to use liners?

You beat me to it, I suppose it is possible that somehow humidity is causing whistling, but I don't see how off hand.

It sounds like a leak to me. Maybe some more information?

What kind of whistle? Does it sound like a hiss maybe?

Where is the whistle coming from - machine, hose, mask, and if mask where on the mask?

If you wiggle the mask does the whistle stop and start?
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
I will get a air turbulence sound (kinda like a whistle) if the hose and elbow are directly in front of the exhaust port on my Simplus. If I move them away from the exhaust, it gets very quite. Of course I didn't think to ask you exactly where the whistle is coming from.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When your mask whistles, rub your finger across the vents several times. If the whistling stops for a while, the whistling is due to 2 things. I have had F&P masks that have the whistling phenomenon. It is caused by the vent holes not being true and consistent diameter and moisture condensing in the irregularities. Yes, the humidity setting will affect this problem. Warming the air more might help some. Since you are using the Simplus mask, I would get a new set of cushions since you get new vents with the new cushions.

If your whistling problem fits this description, it is a manufacturing problem and I would take it up with the manufacturer directly.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2016, 12:58 PM)PaytonA Wrote: When your mask whistles, rub your finger across the vents several times. If the whistling stops for a while, the whistling is due to 2 things. I have had F&P masks that have the whistling phenomenon. It is caused by the vent holes not being true .....

I've had some whistling with a new mask, which the older mask, exact same kind didn't have. I could make the whistling stop by placing my fingers over a fraction of the holes. So I put a piece of medical tape over a fraction of the exhaust holes, and the whistling went away. I got a constant air sound instead, but at least it wasn't a whistle, and wasn't stopping & starting with each breath. I decided I preferred the constant sound.

Might be worth a try ....
Post Reply Post Reply
My bro uses a Simplus mask as well and had the whistling problem. I was able to stop it by boiling his cushion for 5 minutes, cooling, drying and reinserting it. It seems that the cushion was bumping against something and boiling helped to reshape that a bit.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2016, 12:58 PM)PaytonA Wrote: When your mask whistles, rub your finger across the vents several times. If the whistling stops for a while, the whistling is due to 2 things. I have had F&P masks that have the whistling phenomenon.

another simplus mask user here with the exact problem - in that increasing the humidity makes the vent whistle. rubbing the vent works... for about five minutes and the whistling kicks in again.

Good to know it's a fault, as i have a replacement mask in waiting. will try that tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes,

If I wipe my fingers or the blanket across the vent holes on the mask, especially on the inside, the noise goes away for about 1/2 an hour.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am ordering a new mask, thanks for help everyone.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed 10 whistling Jim Logan 2 388 11-19-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Jim Logan
  [Equipment] Phillips Dreamwear mask is whistling melody 2 583 09-26-2023, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,209 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,755 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question Whistling CPAP NannyRobina 14 1,730 06-07-2021, 09:27 AM
Last Post: NannyRobina
  Whistling Airsense 10 - Not the humidifier Sugarvenom 3 1,262 02-25-2021, 08:35 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.