Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Whistling noise through the vent holes
Whistling noise through the vent holes
[attachment=11936]

My CPAP full face mask has a series of vent holes in the front of it. A grid of maybe 36 little holes. 

Problem is, after a little but of time every night, a whistling noise begins to come from those holes as air escapes through them, as designed. I know that's the source of the whistling because when I wipe that area with a finger it'll stop or change sounds for a few minutes.   

I clean the mask every nighty before use. I use a toothbrush in those holes to clean them out. I've tried soap and water. I've tried vinegar and water. 

I am using a resmed airsense 10. It has a humidifier. I have tinkered with lower humidity settings. Doesn't seem to help. 

Any thoughts? Too loud to sleep!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Whistling noise through the vent holes
Hi Slugger - Welcome
It sounds like you are getting condensation in the mask.  Have you tried not using the humidifier?  You can also use it as a passive humidifier by having water in the tank and setting the machine humidity level to 0 (zero).   Another thought is to obtain a heated hose if you currently aren't using one.

Good luck!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've tinkered with the humidity level down as low as two. But I get such dry mouth that I really think I need the humidity higher.

And I do have a heated hose. Set at 75.

I just noticed the new masks I bought don't have the vent holes like the old ones. Maybe I'll just try that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try cleaning in the morning instead of the evening. Moisture in the diffuser may be affecting it. I had that problem with my F&P Bravida. Now I only clean it in the morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2019, 12:31 PM)Slugger Wrote: I get such dry mouth that I really think I need the humidity higher. 

My mouth used to feed like a desert and I struggled with the humidifier. I thought it was going to cause me not to be able to use the machine. I was keeping a leak proof kiddie cup of water by the machine.

Just a tip that worked for me: 

Concentrate on always closing your mouth closed during the night. It won't take long to get it moist again.

Tell your brain to stop opening your mouth and to keep it shut. 

Was a huge problem when I started, not any more... Sleep-well
My worst night on CPAP is 10X better than my best night without it  Eat-popcorn 
Good night Chesty, wherever you are..Semper Fi
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Here to vent Razorpoke 6 154 Yesterday, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 139 35,625 04-12-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Sheepish
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 21,193 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 188 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 218 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,718 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  [CPAP] Resmed airmini noise NYKP44 0 429 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: NYKP44

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.