Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

White Film in Humidifier Tank
I have the standard H5i humidifier tank. I use distilled water exclusively in my humidifier. Last week I happened to let my tank dry out after cleaning it and there is a very fine white adherent film on the aluminum bottom of the tank. This is the first time since the unit was new that I have allowed the tank to dry out. On the occasional times that I clean the tank I rinse it thoroughly and refill it with distilled water right away.

My feeling is that the white powder is aluminum oxide and not minerals from the water. There is an area that has the appearance that a "cold flow" would have in other types of forming. Since I am quite certain that this is a stamping maybe it is some die release that got entrained in the aluminum. Anyway, where this "cold flow" is there is no white powder.

Any comments? Anybody else have experience with this type of adherent white powder formation? If this white powder is truly aluminum oxide, why bother with distilled or demineralized water?

Best regards,

PaytonA
09-09-2014 12:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

RE: White Film in Humidifier Tank
(09-09-2014 12:02 PM)PaytonA Wrote:  I have the standard H5i humidifier tank. I use distilled water exclusively in my humidifier. Last week I happened to let my tank dry out after cleaning it and there is a very fine white adherent film on the aluminum bottom of the tank. This is the first time since the unit was new that I have allowed the tank to dry out. On the occasional times that I clean the tank I rinse it thoroughly and refill it with distilled water right away.

My feeling is that the white powder is aluminum oxide and not minerals from the water. There is an area that has the appearance that a "cold flow" would have in other types of forming. Since I am quite certain that this is a stamping maybe it is some die release that got entrained in the aluminum. Anyway, where this "cold flow" is there is no white powder.

Any comments? Anybody else have experience with this type of adherent white powder formation? If this white powder is truly aluminum oxide, why bother with distilled or demineralized water?

Best regards,

PaytonA

That's my guess. The "zonk" tank seems like the best idea I've heard of -- use the stainless steel bottom from a "dishwasher-safe" 3 piece tank and the top from your regular tank.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2014 07:27 AM by justMongo.)
09-09-2014 12:15 PM
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

I guess I don't stress over this type of stuff very much - not sure if that is good or bad...

When/if I notice my tank looks bothersome, I then clean it, followed by a vinegar water soak. Then the next cleaning isn't until I notice an issue again. That said, I do *rinse*my tank almost nightly.

FYI - when I run my tank dry/hot - I see a white film always - and think nothing of it. Again, perhaps that is wrong of me, but it's what I do.

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
09-09-2014 12:53 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PsychoMike Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: Varies with mood, ResMed F10 is my primary
CPAP Pressure: 12-17
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: asthma, cyclist upgraditis, just a little crazy (honest :D )

Anytime aluminum is exposed to oxygen, you can get aluminum oxide. With water, the dissolved oxygen concentration is far less, meaning there is less oxygen available to create the film...if you can keep the humidifier from running dry, you'll be less likely to get aluminum oxide forming.

Don't get the white film of aluminum oxide confused with mineral deposits. My wife occasionally uses tap water in hers (which often runs dry as her humidifier heater is on a boost, which keeps the tank warm all the time) and the resulting white film is far thicker from the additional mineral deposits. In the former case, you get a thin film that stops (aluminum oxide forms a barrier that prevents further oxidation...unlike iron oxide (rust) that actually permits additional oxidation).

Simple solution: to minimize the formation of aluminum oxide, don't let your humidifier tank run dry. To prevent mineral deposits, use a water source with lower mineral content. Smile
09-09-2014 12:56 PM
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

That happens on the stainless tanks as well. Remember that distilled water isn't 100% pure either. Also that a lot of air goes through the tank, and there is still some small amount of dust, even in the filtered air.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
09-09-2014 03:06 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto

Other Comments:

(09-09-2014 12:56 PM)PsychoMike Wrote:  Simple solution: to minimize the formation of aluminum oxide, don't let your humidifier tank run dry. To prevent mineral deposits, use a water source with lower mineral content. Smile

Actually, it has never run dry. I allowed it to dry at room temperature after cleaning it and the tank has only been used since 8/13/2014. I thought it was kind of interesting. I do not remember the tank in my S8 developing this film.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
09-09-2014 03:15 PM
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto

Other Comments:

(09-09-2014 12:15 PM)justMongo Wrote:  That's my guess. The "zonk" tank seems like the best idea I've heard of -- use the stainless steel bottom from a "dishwasher-safe" 3 piece take and the top from your regular tank.

Thanks for the suggestion, Mongo. I had forgotten about the "Zonk" tank.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
09-09-2014 03:19 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DNB128 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resperonics System One A-flex
Mask Make & Model: AirFit F10
Humidifier: Resperonics System One
CPAP Pressure: 9-18
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

(09-09-2014 12:56 PM)PsychoMike Wrote:  Simple solution: to minimize the formation of aluminum oxide, don't let your humidifier tank run dry. To prevent mineral deposits, use a water source with lower mineral content. Smile

PsychoMike, all winter long my tank ran dry during the night, I was never able to learn how long it was dry. Minnesota winters are cold and dry, and I've noticed my summer humidifier use barely puts a dent in the water supply. Is there anything to do for the winter to keep it from running dry?

I started cpap on Feb. 3 this year, and my humidifier didn't show a film until July or August. I picked up another at that time. I do rinse the tank every night, wash it once a week or so with other supplies.
09-09-2014 08:13 PM
Skypilot Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed Hire
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AIRFIT™ P10 nasal pilow
Humidifier: H5i Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: Doc said to try 12; was 14

Other Comments: The land of Nod is but a dream.

Sex: Undisclosed

(09-09-2014 12:53 PM)Peter_C Wrote:  I guess I don't stress over this type of stuff very much - not sure if that is good or bad...

Too look on the bright side it is in the tank and not your lungs...
09-09-2014 09:14 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

It's that reclaimed water in the OC.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
09-10-2014 07:32 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Beginning use with H5i humidifier Lanco 27 861 Yesterday 02:59 PM
Last Post: Lanco
  Does long term humidifier use affect lungs? Russatrice 11 427 12-06-2016 06:27 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse
  Gunk and grit in humidifier. MrEGuy 11 517 11-07-2016 12:49 AM
Last Post: cands
  [Equipment] Resmed S10 Autoset Humidifier question keithb4158 6 393 11-02-2016 05:13 AM
Last Post: keithb4158
  Dreamstation heated tube/humidifier initial settings. NorthernGuy 9 738 10-28-2016 09:21 AM
Last Post: Perchas
  [CPAP] Humidifier texasbluedevil69 13 496 10-28-2016 06:58 AM
Last Post: texasbluedevil69
  ResMed 10 - DISHWASHER SAFE Humidifier Padre_StevieJ 5 1,127 10-05-2016 11:03 PM
Last Post: PaytonA