Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

White Film in Humidifier Tank
White Film in Humidifier Tank
I have the standard H5i humidifier tank. I use distilled water exclusively in my humidifier. Last week I happened to let my tank dry out after cleaning it and there is a very fine white adherent film on the aluminum bottom of the tank. This is the first time since the unit was new that I have allowed the tank to dry out. On the occasional times that I clean the tank I rinse it thoroughly and refill it with distilled water right away.

My feeling is that the white powder is aluminum oxide and not minerals from the water. There is an area that has the appearance that a "cold flow" would have in other types of forming. Since I am quite certain that this is a stamping maybe it is some die release that got entrained in the aluminum. Anyway, where this "cold flow" is there is no white powder.

Any comments? Anybody else have experience with this type of adherent white powder formation? If this white powder is truly aluminum oxide, why bother with distilled or demineralized water?

Best regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: White Film in Humidifier Tank
(09-09-2014, 12:02 PM)PaytonA Wrote: I have the standard H5i humidifier tank. I use distilled water exclusively in my humidifier. Last week I happened to let my tank dry out after cleaning it and there is a very fine white adherent film on the aluminum bottom of the tank. This is the first time since the unit was new that I have allowed the tank to dry out. On the occasional times that I clean the tank I rinse it thoroughly and refill it with distilled water right away.

My feeling is that the white powder is aluminum oxide and not minerals from the water. There is an area that has the appearance that a "cold flow" would have in other types of forming. Since I am quite certain that this is a stamping maybe it is some die release that got entrained in the aluminum. Anyway, where this "cold flow" is there is no white powder.

Any comments? Anybody else have experience with this type of adherent white powder formation? If this white powder is truly aluminum oxide, why bother with distilled or demineralized water?

Best regards,

PaytonA

That's my guess. The "zonk" tank seems like the best idea I've heard of -- use the stainless steel bottom from a "dishwasher-safe" 3 piece tank and the top from your regular tank.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess I don't stress over this type of stuff very much - not sure if that is good or bad...

When/if I notice my tank looks bothersome, I then clean it, followed by a vinegar water soak. Then the next cleaning isn't until I notice an issue again. That said, I do *rinse*my tank almost nightly.

FYI - when I run my tank dry/hot - I see a white film always - and think nothing of it. Again, perhaps that is wrong of me, but it's what I do.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Anytime aluminum is exposed to oxygen, you can get aluminum oxide. With water, the dissolved oxygen concentration is far less, meaning there is less oxygen available to create the film...if you can keep the humidifier from running dry, you'll be less likely to get aluminum oxide forming.

Don't get the white film of aluminum oxide confused with mineral deposits. My wife occasionally uses tap water in hers (which often runs dry as her humidifier heater is on a boost, which keeps the tank warm all the time) and the resulting white film is far thicker from the additional mineral deposits. In the former case, you get a thin film that stops (aluminum oxide forms a barrier that prevents further oxidation...unlike iron oxide (rust) that actually permits additional oxidation).

Simple solution: to minimize the formation of aluminum oxide, don't let your humidifier tank run dry. To prevent mineral deposits, use a water source with lower mineral content. Smile
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That happens on the stainless tanks as well. Remember that distilled water isn't 100% pure either. Also that a lot of air goes through the tank, and there is still some small amount of dust, even in the filtered air.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2014, 12:56 PM)PsychoMike Wrote: Simple solution: to minimize the formation of aluminum oxide, don't let your humidifier tank run dry. To prevent mineral deposits, use a water source with lower mineral content. Smile

Actually, it has never run dry. I allowed it to dry at room temperature after cleaning it and the tank has only been used since 8/13/2014. I thought it was kind of interesting. I do not remember the tank in my S8 developing this film.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2014, 12:15 PM)justMongo Wrote: That's my guess. The "zonk" tank seems like the best idea I've heard of -- use the stainless steel bottom from a "dishwasher-safe" 3 piece take and the top from your regular tank.

Thanks for the suggestion, Mongo. I had forgotten about the "Zonk" tank.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2014, 12:56 PM)PsychoMike Wrote: Simple solution: to minimize the formation of aluminum oxide, don't let your humidifier tank run dry. To prevent mineral deposits, use a water source with lower mineral content. Smile

PsychoMike, all winter long my tank ran dry during the night, I was never able to learn how long it was dry. Minnesota winters are cold and dry, and I've noticed my summer humidifier use barely puts a dent in the water supply. Is there anything to do for the winter to keep it from running dry?

I started cpap on Feb. 3 this year, and my humidifier didn't show a film until July or August. I picked up another at that time. I do rinse the tank every night, wash it once a week or so with other supplies.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2014, 12:53 PM)Peter_C Wrote: I guess I don't stress over this type of stuff very much - not sure if that is good or bad...

Too look on the bright side it is in the tank and not your lungs...
Post Reply Post Reply
It's that reclaimed water in the OC.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  White/Brown Sound? MoneyPit1946 7 183 03-16-2024, 10:49 AM
Last Post: MoneyPit1946
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 763 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 353 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,160 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 319 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733
  Humidifier wattage - Anyone know Pse? Kingsway 10 786 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kingsway

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.