Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

White Film in Humidifier Tank
RE: White Film in Humidifier Tank
I guess that I had better use bourbon. It is distilled after all.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2014, 03:15 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Actually, it has never run dry. I allowed it to dry at room temperature after cleaning it and the tank has only been used since 8/13/2014. I thought it was kind of interesting. I do not remember the tank in my S8 developing this film.

Could be the metal they are using for the tanks these days is more prone to oxidation. If it is damp (i.e. from washing) and you let it air dry (like we're supposed to), it can have the exact same effect.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2014, 08:13 PM)DNB128 Wrote: PsychoMike, all winter long my tank ran dry during the night, I was never able to learn how long it was dry. Minnesota winters are cold and dry, and I've noticed my summer humidifier use barely puts a dent in the water supply. Is there anything to do for the winter to keep it from running dry?

I started cpap on Feb. 3 this year, and my humidifier didn't show a film until July or August. I picked up another at that time. I do rinse the tank every night, wash it once a week or so with other supplies.

Depends on what you're comfortable with, the mask you use and what your settings are. My winters in Alberta can be cold and dry too, so I noticed a change in water use when using an automatic setting too. Since going to manual control of my humidity, I've found a setting that works well with my current mask and doesn't leave me or the humidifier dry in the morning....plus I can boost things when I need to (like when I have a cold Wink )
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try a product called Lemi-Shine to remove the residue from your humidifier tank. Just sprinkle it in the tank and then add hot water, let it sit for a few minutes and rinse. It works wonders and you don't have to scrub. Product is available online or at Wal-Mart.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  White/Brown Sound? MoneyPit1946 7 180 03-16-2024, 10:49 AM
Last Post: MoneyPit1946
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 755 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 445 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 351 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,159 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 319 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733
  Humidifier wattage - Anyone know Pse? Kingsway 10 785 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kingsway

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.