Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Who checks the pressure on CPap?
Who checks the pressure on CPap?
I was just wondering, if you bought a used machine or you think your pressures are off and you hated your DME (or they are out of business), who do you go to to check pressures? Does any DME do this? If so, how much does it cost, roughly?

I have a family member who is looking for a machine off of Craigslist. But, you never know - maybe a good deal will come along for a backup for me. I've noticed a lot of Resmed 9s on the list lately.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Who checks the pressure on CPap?
Here is a link to a homemade Manometer:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ew-dollars

Of course you can google for a commercially made one too.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cool. I can see family members making a project of it. LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
There are also a couple commercially available manometers available form suppliers, some pretty cheap, more expensive ones up above $50.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
All machines would eventually need to be calibrated/checked or serviced. There are companies that do this without going through the DME.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-12-2015, 04:50 PM)trailrider Wrote: All machines would eventually need to be calibrated/checked or serviced. There are companies that do this without going through the DME.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

Other than replacing the filters and other disposable items, there's probably not much need for periodic maintenance, checking or service, unless the machine is broken. This is especially true if you monitor your treatment.

If you still want to check the pressure, for under $100, Supplier #1 has a dial manometer with the appropriate fittings. You want to check the pressure while the machine is being used.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, it is probably not all that important. CPAP therapy implies that the pressure will be set (eventually, sometimes through titration, sometimes through trial and error) to whatever pressure works best. Regardless of what the pressure reads, if setting the pressure to the reading that jives with what the prescription is doesn't work, try a little higher or a little lower, and find the pressure that works best. What it actually reads is secondary to having the actual "right" pressure.

It's even less critical with APAP, which titrates on its own. It doesn't care whether the pressure reads accurately; it cares that it is providing the right pressure, which it finds largely on its own.

My GPS says I'm going 75 when my speedometer says I'm going 78. One (or both) of them is wrong. It's annoying, but it doesn't really matter (because I'm over the speed limit anyway).
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-12-2015, 02:37 PM)sgearhart Wrote: Here is a link to a homemade Manometer:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ew-dollars

I just made one for myself. It cost about $2 for the hose and nothing for the stuff laying around waiting for a project. I made mine smaller, using a ~12x~16 board and 3 ft of tubing. I copied the the first 20 cm of my wife's sewing tape several times and cut out measuring strips. Once the tube was about a third? filled with water, I attached the measuring strip "0" mark even to the water surface on the rising side of the tube. Once the Cpap was connected and turned on I was able to read the half pressure with no problem. So simple and quick to make and use. Thank You!!!!

I had picked up a couple cpaps to set up for rv battery camping and home battery backup. I reset them for my prescription per the instructions obtained from this board. Since they were used units I wanted to check the pressure output just to be sure. They checked right on the money. speaking of which I think I'll make a donation to the Board; a valuable resource.Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm curious why going with a prescription pressure is so important to begin with. It's a starting point, but I trust the sleepyhead best-results section over time to always let me know what my best pressure settings will be -- with the occasional periodic self-tinkering that's both slight and gradual.

I've gone with a 0.5 point above my sleep prescription because I get better results, as shown by sleepyhead. Someone could suggest that my machine may be off by that 0.5 point but the result will still be the same.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree, who cares what the pressure is. You are only going to tinker with it anyway. The only issue would be if the blower was operating so poorly that you needed proof of it to get your money back.
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] What Cpap pressure should I use? uarspatient2023 1 236 03-02-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Pressure] Help interpreting low AHI after reducing CPAP pressure? grrrrr 2 277 02-21-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: grrrrr
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 444 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Dizziness and ear pressure/fullness after using cpap dizzy1 0 181 02-10-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: dizzy1
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 403 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Questions about CPAP pressure algorithms about apnea charlie4691 5 580 12-27-2023, 11:43 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,637 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.