Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Who is authorized to write compliance report for DOT?
Who is authorized to write compliance report for DOT?
Hi , when I was at my physical for work (bus driver) I had been out for 5 months with back problems. I hadn't been using the CPAP so I had to wait til I was compliant again before I went back. Once I am compliant does it have to be only the DR that can write I am compliant or can it be the clinician also at the place where I get my card read? The place I get supplies etc. at the physical he said either the DR or whoever is authorized to read and write report. Now can that be my primary DR as well or can the clinician do it at the place I get it read at or does the DR do it? Thanks in advance
RE: Who is authorized to write compliance report for DOT?
You'll have to ask the DME clinician if they're authorized to write the compliance report. I suspect that it will have to be the doc, and most likely all they're going to do is supply the printed report to the DOT from the machine software.
Isn't only using your machine when you have to do it for your job sort of like only turning on your smoke alarm when you know your house is going to catch fire? Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought the purpose of cpap treatment was to protect and improve our health, not just to placate the DOT.
Normally I just fax over the download. I do my best to use dates that make sure the patient is over 70% if at all possible.

There are some machines that don't have download capabilities but do show total usage and days > 4 hrs. Based on when they got their machine I do the math and write it up and fax that to the doctor.
(07-01-2014, 02:13 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Isn't only using your machine when you have to do it for your job sort of like only turning on your smoke alarm when you know your house is going to catch fire? Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought the purpose of cpap treatment was to protect and improve our health, not just to placate the DOT.

Hey retired guy, I knew there would be a smart comment......there always is......You shouldn't comment if you don't know the whole story. I was trying to use it for the first few months I was out. I didn't do enough to be "COMPLIANT" because there we nights my back/leg/ankle were so bad from nerve pain I didn't sleep much and when I did it was in small intervals and having a machine hooked up while in a chair in another room was very hard. When I started getting better I didn't use it enough to be "COMPLIANT". There's always a comedian in the bunch.....
Thanks for clearing that up Bill. .......and here I had thought your only concern was getting to drive your bus again. Must have been confused from your first post which said:

" I drive a bus and have been out for 5 months due to a disc problem and nerve compression in my leg. During that time I wasn't driving so I didn't use machine enough for compliance. Stupid me didn't think that when I went back for my work physical they saw I wasn't compliant and I couldn't return."

The thing is, there are lots of us around here that are trying to adapt to the therapy for the health and safety of ourselves, our family, and our community. Each year many people are killed or injured by drivers who doze behind the wheel. So it's nice to see someone such as yourself that takes this so seriously. By the way, where do you drive your bus?

I think the OP has had his questions answered, so I'm closing this thread before the discussion gets heated.

If you have questions or comments concerning DOT compliance please start another thread.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Abnormal report - me or machine Anthony2L 1 171 02-29-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 207 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  excessive snore on report jentlesoal 0 176 02-06-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: jentlesoal
  How do YOU report Resmed CPAP data for compliance silverchief2 21 1,452 12-17-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 479 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Insurance Compliance and Changing My Own Pressure Brennie 3 432 11-27-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.