Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Who needs a ASV machine??
Who needs a ASV machine??
Here is a DEEP question: How can I tell if my ASV machine is really needed and or if the ASV feature is being used??

I cannot see any indications of it being needed nor used in any of my OSCAR reports, especially when compared to a simpler BiPap machine. They both seem to do the same job and report the same results.

Both machines deal with all the same events, and both machines treat them seemly the same.

So I am asking what is an Auto Servo Ventilator need FOR, and how can I tell if I really need it or would I be just as well treated by a BiPap machine??  

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Who needs a ASV machine??
An ASV is primarily used when you need a bilevel, but when using a standard bilevel results in excessive central apneas.

So, for example, if you use a standard bilevel and you have an AHI of 15, where most of the events are centrals, switching to an ASV could result in the AHI being cut to close to 0.

Hence, if you don't get centrals, you don't need ASV.
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I get centrals but the BiPap seems to be able to treat them as well.

So now I have an idea for what to look for when I try the BiPap inplace of my BiPapASV.

Thanks.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
It isn't a really deep question like you think. An ASV would have been scripted to combat central apnea. In ResMed's titration protocol PDF for ASV, it's stated to treat patients with central and/or complex apnea and then Periodic Breathing.

What did your sleep studies and titrations say on events and counts? If CA or complex apnea were named, this is the reason you have an ASV machine. And if you've had CA or mixed apnea listed at 50% or more on the PSG sleep study, that also indicates medical need to have the ASV.

A BPAP that does not have backup rate used by a patient that needs ASV backup rates to combat CA sounds to me like a recipe for disaster. I've experienced a regular BPAP before the doctor came to his senses and scripted an ASV, and it was a huge disaster for me being on a regular BPAP.

Do note that CA have the consistently inconsistent factor, up or down randomly even per night. So I see something wrong 2 ways. First if you don't notice any differences between BPAP and ASV, the question why comes up. This could be that your machines aren't working very well, they're not setup very well, or similar issues. Second is how long have you tried BPAP vs ASV to compare?

We've discussed in the past that a ResMed ASV is better at treatment than the Respironics. Your answer is mostly the same. It'll be something like "I tried a ResMed xPAP (that was not ASV) and it wasn't good, so I believe their ASV will be bad too." When we say get the ResMed, mostly your answer is somebody needs to give you one. Why not be proactive instead of passive? I had medical needs provided because I asked, researched, and self advocated and fought to get what was needed. This isn't the same as your approach. Historically I think you'd fairly recently accepted a DreamStation SV Auto, when you could have requested to get ResMed. And yes I believe there is that much difference between ResMed and Respironics on these ASVs.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2021, 12:23 PM)racprops Wrote: I get centrals but the BiPap seems to be able to treat them as well.

A standard bilevel not only can't treat centrals, but tends to make them worse.

So I'm a little confused.
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
A BiLevel with Backup (Timed Breathing) can, and in the past, was used to treat CA. This put the user 100% on timed, forced breathing, with high PS, which applies the fix even when assistance is not needed. BiLevel PS levels prescribed to treat CA are usually much lower than what is needed to do so.

An ASV applies only as much PS (usually much lower than what is needed on a BiLevel) as is needed to keep your breathing volume constant.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,155 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,791 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,320 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,754 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,249 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.