Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Who's had surgery?
RE: Who's had surgery?
I can't say that I've had any lasting side effects. It may be all in my head, but it seemed like I bit my tongue more frequently once the MMA healed. (I had them done at the same time). I'm accustomed to it now, and no longer have any issues. I hope the tongue reduction(?) works for you, but if you need it, the genioglossus advancement is a walk in the park vs. MMA.
Post Reply Post Reply
It often gets forgotten that jaw surgery is not only major surgery, but changes your FACE.
Post Reply Post Reply
Had the UPPP and nasal passage drill.  The OSA is from the muscles in my throat relaxing, so I still required the APAP.

Then I either always had a sleep transition problem that worsened with age, or perhaps it developed with age and over a decade of cpap usage, and requires a Resmed ASV to treat. I just don't trust those neurological problems that I don't understand.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had UPPP surgery many years ago, which was unsuccessful.

I've since read that the failure rate for this procedure is (or rather was, it may have improved for all I know) only about one in three. 

I wasn't told that at the time or I'd never have agreed to it. Who would with such low odds? 

Nor (at the time) was I told about the possibility of CPAP therapy.

I guess that tells you that (1) surgeons want to do surgery; and (2) some don't adhere to that pledge they are required to make during their medical training.

Fortunately, I am able to use APAP successfully, but because of the operation can only do so with a humidifier.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also had UPPP and im on bipap 12-17, i had 21 pressure before. I'd say im halfway there with a treatment im comfortable with , now im scheduled for a functional nose surgery, well see how much it improves the situation overall, since nose breathing is very imprortant.

After UPPP my aerophagia (air swallowing) worsened so i got switched from apap to bipap, i was literally exhaling the air into my stomach.
Post Reply Post Reply
Had UPPP also, did not help, only after did another doctor say I had Centeral Apnea, which Uppp would not help. I'm now on an ASV with gaging issues.
Welcome to the site.
Post Reply Post Reply
yes. I had UPPP and tongue advancement.  #'s went from 68/hour to 64.  A glaring failure pretty much.

That was EXTREMEMLY painful.  couldn't even swallow.
Post Reply Post Reply
My Dad had UPPP and tonsillectomy and he's on auto CPAP now. Regrets it every day and every time he eats he chokes. Has to be very careful taking meds. I watched him suffer for so long during surgery recovery.

He avoided CPAP for the fear of claustrophobia and all the misconceptions associated with CPAP.
I got him on a machine a month after I started and he will not go without. I bought him a backup machine just like his so he never has to be without.

Edit for note: I talked to my family doctor (and friend) and he said he would never recommend UPPP for apnea.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-31-2018, 05:31 PM)oldfart59 Wrote: Had UPPP also, did not help, only after did another doctor say I had Centeral Apnea, which Uppp would not help. I'm now on an ASV with gaging issues.
Welcome to the site.

Hi, 
Do you know why you're gaging? If its the uvula you can have the nerve cut. I had terrible gaging reflex after the UPPP, so they gave me a mild sedative and cut the nerve.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too have had the jaw surgery and chin advancement, Uppp and epiglottis resizing. My settings were constantly increasing and apnea was setting up for me to lose my commercial driver license. I turned to Inspire2 and now have a AHI of 0, use my devise 7 hrs a night 7 nights a week.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,224 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 250 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 30 1,951 01-27-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Nasal Surgery and CPAP tolerance Norman2195 6 706 12-27-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery phitom816 4 1,363 12-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy
  Thoughts on my data (after double jaw surgery) accetableplaintain 2 419 11-27-2023, 06:30 AM
Last Post: accetableplaintain
  Tonsillectomy and UPPP surgery Jen0628jen 3 598 11-02-2023, 09:21 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.