Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Who's had surgery?
Who's had surgery?
Hello from a new member! I've had maxillomandibular advancement (MMA) and genioglossus (tongue) advancement. It gave me more room for my (apparently) cow sized tongue, but did not eliminate my OSA. (Tonsils were removed as a kid.) A sleep study in March reported an AHI of 30+ with O2 saturation at 75%. After recent septoplasty and turbinate reduction I'm using a nasal mask and BiPAP therapy, having started two weeks ago. Although I'm still getting accustomed to it, all seems to be going well, and I'm using Sleepyhead to track my progress.

I'm curious, are there other members who've had surgical intervention that still need CPAP or BiPAP?

Apnea Board has been a great help already. Thanks for all of your efforts!

Tom
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Who's had surgery?
My tonsils and anoids are gone and I use cpap
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi tpstinson,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your question and good luck with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Probably not what you're looking for, but I have to have the polyps in my nasal passages removed (about) every five years.  Otherwise the use of CPAP with nasal pillows would not work.  (For most of the year I have a full beard, so none of the other kinds of masks would work, either).
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a trifecta surgery a few years ago; Tonsillectomy, Septoplasty, and UPPP.  I was very hopeful that this procedure would work.  I had been using CPAP therapy religiously for 15 years and really wanted a break from that.

Unfortunately, i went from 8cm pressure with a nasal pillow to 13cm and full face mask.  Not sure how it could have gotten worse, but it did.

On the upside, I do breathe better in general and still happy I went through it.  I probably could have passed on the UPPP tho.

Good Luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
cdpeder, Sorry to hear that. By the way Welcome to Apnea Board! Welcome
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I had the jaw surgery years ago, but not for OSA. It's given me the TMJ from hell, destroyed some facial nerves, and was excruciating. And I now sport an APAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2017, 04:41 PM)PollCat Wrote: Probably not what you're looking for, but I have to have the polyps in my nasal passages removed (about) every five years.  Otherwise the use of CPAP with nasal pillows would not work.  (For most of the year I have a full beard, so none of the other kinds of masks would work, either).

Hopefully you're using steroidal nasal spray twice daily. That's what I do (Flonase) to fight those polyps. I've had three sinus surgeries, but only one of them was specifically for polyp removal. Two years ago they wanted to another surgery but another ENT told me I didn't need it. And I don't.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2017, 10:56 AM)tpstinson Wrote: I'm curious, are there other members who've had surgical intervention that still need CPAP or BiPAP?

The ENT who sent me off for my sleep study almost six years ago told me after I was diagnosed that surgery had about a 50% chance of doing nothing, and 20% chance of lowering my pressure. Not very good odds.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2017, 10:56 AM)tpstinson Wrote: Hello from a new member! I've had maxillomandibular advancement (MMA) and genioglossus (tongue) advancement. It gave me more room for my (apparently) cow sized tongue, but did not eliminate my OSA. (Tonsils were removed as a kid.) A sleep study in March reported an AHI of 30+ with O2 saturation at 75%. After recent septoplasty and turbinate reduction I'm using a nasal mask and BiPAP therapy, having started two weeks ago. Although I'm still getting accustomed to it, all seems to be going well, and I'm using Sleepyhead to track my progress.

I'm curious, are there other members who've had surgical intervention that still need CPAP or BiPAP?

Apnea Board has been a great help already. Thanks for all of your efforts!

Tom

Hi Tom, your case sounds similar to mine. I've had MMA, nasal surgery, and a lingual frenectomy and still have/had apnea, but unfortunately can no longer tolerate CPAP. I'm currently seeing Dr. Eric Kezirian at USC for further treatment. He did a sleep endoscopy first and found retrolingual collapse but no other issues. I've currently had 1 of 3 planned treatments for tongue radiofrequency. My doctor has a special technique where he targets 4 locations on the tongue (instead of the usual 1) - the back of the tongue, the sides, and underneath. It's still early but the results are promising. If it doesn't cure me, I'll do a genioglossus advancement, and then after that maybe a lateral expansion sphincter pharyngoplasty (a much newer/better version of UPPP) that another sleep surgeon proposed. There's also transoral robotic surgery to think about.

Question: Did you have get any side effects from the genioglossus advancement?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,224 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 250 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 30 1,951 01-27-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Nasal Surgery and CPAP tolerance Norman2195 6 706 12-27-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery phitom816 4 1,362 12-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy
  Thoughts on my data (after double jaw surgery) accetableplaintain 2 418 11-27-2023, 06:30 AM
Last Post: accetableplaintain
  Tonsillectomy and UPPP surgery Jen0628jen 3 598 11-02-2023, 09:21 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.