Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Who uses the mask fit feature?
Ohmy 
Who uses the mask fit feature?
Does anybody but the newbie use the mask fit feature on the ResMed S9 machine? Do you use it often?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Who uses the mask fit feature?
Hi Lukie,
I did try the mask fit feature once so I could see what it was like, but I found that I just didn't need it.
. I just get my mask positioned at my normal starting pressure and that works well for me, of course, YMMV.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't. Never have. My pressure is higher than 10 so it is rather useless. I don't use ramp so I use the first few minutes to adjust the mask as needed. Nasal pillows don't need much adjusting anyway.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Lukie, the RT told me that he thinks ResMed should remove the mask fit feature and he showed me why. He separated the blower and humidifer so that the blower connector was exposed and then turned on the mask fit feature. If nothing was blocking the connector, the green smiley face was showing. If he covered the connector hole with his hand, it gave the red frowny face. Pull his hand away and it's back to the green smiley. He said it's not really checking anything useful so he doesn't recommend using it. It's (briefly) entertaining, but not particularly useful.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I use it every night on my 0905 firmware machine. Somewhere between my earlier firmware machine and the 0905 firmware they fixed a lot of problems. For one thing, the mask fit pressure is the 95% pressure from previous night instead of just 10 (like it is on my older machine). I never use mask fit on the older machine because 10cm is useless to me, so I'm not sure if it has the other problem mentioned, but I am fairly certain that my 0905 firmware machine only gives green smiley for no or very low (acceptable) leak and red frowney for leak over 24Lm. So whatever the aforementioned DME was doing was probably on an older firmware machine. Not all S9 AutoSets work exactly the same, a lot of functionality changes are made in firmware releases. Smart Start/Stop also doesn't work with FFM on my older machine but does on my 0905 fw machine..

I like to use mask fit because I get better inflation and seal with my Quattro FX if I turn the pressure on first and then place the mask on my face (if I do it the other way around the cushion pulls my cheeks out as the cushion inflates). Using mask fit I don't have to worry about high leak rate (right before I put on mask) messing with my data averages. Mask fit is not recorded in data. I also hit mask fit and let it blow a few seconds for tank and tube drying (the machine goes into a full cool down when you turn mask fit back off, this gives it several minutes of soft air circulation).

Edit: Off topic, but concerning firmware - I set up a 1 month old machine with the latest firmware for a family member (firmware much newer than 0905, but I forget the number of the release)...it has a new addition to the clinical menu labeled "accessibility". You can turn "accessibilty" "on" or "off", but I didn't really have time or inclination to monkey with it to figure out what it does. "Accessibilty" is easily accessible in the clinical menu, so I'm not really sure what purpose it could possibly serve. For good measure I turned it to "on" on my relative's machine...figured "accessibility" can't be a bad thing. Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2013, 09:07 PM)RockABye Wrote: He said it's not really checking anything useful so he doesn't recommend using it. It's (briefly) entertaining, but not particularly useful.
Its reckless on the part of this so called health care professional to describe my two little friends "Mr Green and Mr Frawny" as entertaining and not particularly useful. Its okay not to use mask-fit but not okay to make fun of, there is no efficient therapy without a good mask fit
Post Reply Post Reply
I go straight to the leak data.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use it to blow excess water out of my hose after washing it
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi guys... Do you realise that if you change the setting from APAP to CPAP, then you can choose the exact pressure for Mask Fit? Therefore, whoever says the default pressure isn't enough, should check again.

I tested it the first time I put on my mask, but never again since then. My leak data is pretty good, so I know I put on my mask right every single time.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Reverse ramp feature? McPhearson99 9 972 01-01-2023, 04:02 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,208 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,748 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Why the “hate” on the ramp feature? Kmar13 19 3,678 03-12-2022, 01:50 PM
Last Post: martyedb
  What is this CPAP feature called? djhvyc 3 698 02-04-2021, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.