Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Whole house water purification systems.
Whole house water purification systems.
We are considering having a water purification installed in our home. Not interested in one that uses bulk salt. Not interested in a RO system either.

We had a plumber here last Thur. to fix some leaky faucets. Before he left, he talked to us about a home water purification system. The one he recommended, doesn't use electricity. It uses water pressure to purify the water. He left a brochure with us, but it's on the vague side. Cost was $2K installed.

Not sure how large the system is physically, but it looks to be compact. We were told that it will last approx. 7 yrs. before a new cartridge is needed.

Today on tv, I saw an ad for the this system: Link removed - search for H2O Concepts

The plumber is returning tomorrow afternoon to do a bit of follow-up work. If any of you have a home water purification system in your home, I'd sure like to hear about it and how you like it.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, certain types of commercial links are prohibited in this forum. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: Whole house water purification systems.
Do you have a problem with your water supply? If so, define the problem and identify a solution, which may or may not consist of a filter cartridge in a large cylinder.

I had a look at H2O Concepts, and was left somewhat underwhelmed. There is very little technical detail, just a lot of vague assurances and unsourced statements without context. There is also a lot of alarmist stuff such as the high rates of cancer linked to chlorine in drinking water. There are no proper citations for any of this material. However there are plenty of studies to indicate that chlorinated water is not carcinogenic nor a potential pathogen.

Ths brief paper from the Cancer Council of Western Australia gives some facts, backed up by numerous refereed papers.

Quote:The one he recommended, doesn't use electricity. It uses water pressure to purify the water.

...which leads me to think this is just a filter. What is there in your water supply that needs to be filtered out?
Post Reply Post Reply
The water in our community is very hard. And, there's a lot of calcium in it as well. So much so, that was the reason to have a plumber come out. 

He had to replace the inserts (cartridges) in most of our bathroom faucets and tub / shower spigots. 

The water we drink is from bottled water and/or a Brita and a Zero Water pitcher. I'm not so much concerned about our health, as I am the appliances and plumbing in our house. 

I haven't drank water from a water tap (faucet) in years. Even with an all house water filtering system, we'd still cling to our old ways.

My apologies for posting that link.  Oops
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, I know where you're coming from. Most of the water in my area comes from high calcium content aquifers. Even though it goes through a processing plant there is still a fairly high level of CaCO3 in the water. Having said that the water is eminently drinkable.

Many years ago I worked for the WA Water Corporation in the supply division. My area included the Perth Hills and some of the southern suburbs, which were largely served by water from dams - really nice quality, soft water. Unfortunately the city's growth spurt coincided with a 25 year draught, so the dams are all well below capacity and heavily supplemented by groundwater and desalination plants.

The Boss and I are currently designing a new house (a downsizer) and we'll have a combined public / rainwater / greywater system. Basically the public water supply will do for drinking, cooking etc and as a backup for the other two systems. Rainwater (such as it is these days) will be harvested for showers, toilet flushing and laundry and greywater from showers and laundry will be recycled into the garden. This way we should greatly reduce our consumption of public water.

And sorry - I have gone completely off topic!
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Although scale deposits from hard water can cause problems with plumbing fixtures, washing machines, etc. I believe there are no health risks. As for bottled water, are you sure the quality is any better than what you get from your faucet? There have been a lot of reports recently about quality issues with bottled water; Not to mention the environmental problem associated with all the discarded bottles. As for the faucet cartridges and shower heads, I just remove mine and soak them in vinegar every few months. No plumber needed.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Off topic or not, I found it interesting in regards to what you said. More people should do their best to use water as efficiently as possible. 

Without it, we are doomed.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Melman post. 

We moved into this house about 2.5 months ago. We purchased a home warranty for it. We're playing catch-up with all the things that the house needed done to it. The previous owners weren't your hands-on type of owners. Lots of things went unaddressed. 

Our home warranty does a pretty good job. So far, we have had a furnace issue resolved and we are in the process of the plumbing issues. 

The plumber did in-fact, remove the faucet inserts and clean them. Out of a total of five that had to be cleaned, three still leaked when re-installed. He returns tomorrow to insert brand-new cartridges.....in all five faucets. 

The cartridges average about $40.00 or so each. A service call is capped @ $75.00. That's no matter how many issues or problems are resolved. At this time, it's in our best interests to let the warranty company do it's thing. 

I agree in regards to the discarded plastic bottles being an environmental issue. We haven't yet had our water tested for impurities and/or contaminants. Most companies that offer water treatment systems, will do a free system evaluation, as well as a water purity test. 

It is common knowledge though, that the water in our community / area, leaves a lot to be desired.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
(01-19-2020, 11:49 AM)Big Guy Wrote: ... It uses water pressure to purify the wate .... We were told that it will last approx. 7 yrs. before a new cartridge is needed.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, certain types of commercial links are prohibited in this forum.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----

Until 2015, I lived on a rural property with a well that went down 220 feet.  The water was modestly 'hard' with dissolved solids, a bit of lignin* and tannin, no toxins or heavy metals.  We used a small reverse osmosis system whose tank, about 6 liter capacity, fit under the kitchen sink.  The four cylinders with different cartridges inside them, one of which is the expensive RO membrane cartridge, was mounted just under the floor, high up near the basement joists just below the kitchen sink.

First thing you need to know is that the initial air pressurization will be lost over time.  About once every year-eighteen months, you will have to empty the tank (if your system has one), by inverting it, opening the drain, and letting the water blast out of it.  Repressurize to about 10 psi, and then repeat, until no water can be detected sloshing around inside when you shake the tank.  Then, the tank must be reinstalled, pressurized via the Schraeder valve, to X psi (see the manual!!!), and open the tap to let the system begin to refill the tank...taking about 3-5 hours, maybe less.

You don't have the tank, just a tap?  Okay, but about all them cartridges.  They'll be about $30-40 each for the carbon pre-treatment ones, but that RO membrane is going to set you back close to $150.  And not just every eight years, but closer to every three years (3), depending on what it has to remove from your water supply.

This is not a 'fire and forget' system.  It needs maintenance, and maybe more often than every eight years.

*You do not want lignin in your potable water.
Serial Tapist
Post Reply Post Reply
It's looking like I need to do a whole lot more research before we commit to making a decision. It would most likely be a good move to have our water tested prior as well, to see just what exactly is in it. 

Anyways, there's no rush, but it is something that I do want to get done and put behind us. As much as I dislike having a salesman come to our home and try to sell us something, that might be the best way to address it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I expect your plumber would have mentioned it if it was a problem for you, but fwiw, I had to replace all the valves & cartridges in our rental because the city water pressure was way too high. had to have a $40 pressure regulator installed for $600 (I did all the digging but plumbers charge lawyers' hourly rate around here). well water calcium & iron cause problems at our residence. a small spin down sediment filter in the main water supply catches most of the iron, while an aging water softener reduces calcium & removes the odd metallic taste. coincidentally I was diagnosed with high blood pressure not long after buying the house with the water softener, but my doc doesn't think it's related. more likely to be from a lifetime of apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A handy tip for avoiding "water, water everywhere!" Maggie 4 546 02-19-2019, 02:06 PM
Last Post: Maggie
  Domestic Water Heater Question Sleepster 26 4,116 06-30-2017, 09:37 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Handy tip for distilled water bottles Maggie 5 1,731 04-17-2017, 08:35 AM
Last Post: AlanE
Gross My Old House PaulaO2 23 3,723 12-12-2016, 07:03 PM
Last Post: Perchas
  Keeping My House Clean Schnauzers 5 7 3,623 08-05-2012, 01:27 AM
Last Post: Schnauzers 5
Sad HOUSE MD! Dreamcatcher 14 6,593 05-31-2012, 10:39 AM
Last Post: mjbearit

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.