Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why ACPAP?
RE: Why ACPAP?
(06-26-2016, 09:48 AM)OpalRose Wrote: parrst,
It would be helpful to us if you would fill out your profile.

It's great you were able to get an Apap, but which brand did you get?
Is it the ResMed for Her? I don't believe Respironkcs makes a "for her" model.

As far as changing pressures, yes, you have to do what makes you comfy, but... If your not using software such as SleepyHead, how can you gauge where your pressure should be?

We here on Apnea Board don't advocate just changing pressures without seeing some data, like pressure graphs. Leak rates, AHI and total makeup of that number.

Granted, we are not doctors and don't claim to be.....just one apnea patient trying to help another. Smile

Anyone who isn't comfortable changing their pressure or comfort settings should always talk to their doctor.

Download the SleepyHead software and post us a couple screenshots, then someone can take a look.
http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./

You are right it is a resmed. Was going off top of my head and was too lazy to go look itup. I am using sleepy head. That is how I knew what my max pressure was hitting when I tried auto mode. I have done a fair bit of research before I changed my settings. Thanks for all the good info and help from this board. I hope I can contribute as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2016, 06:36 AM)shawn42 Wrote: He explained that the constant pressure tends to keep your lungs at a fuller volume because exhaling is so much harder than inhaling.

The highest any of the CPAP/APAP machines can go is 20cm of water. This is only about two percent of normal ambient air pressure at sea level. And it's far less pressure than you generate on your own when you blow up a balloon. I think your doctor is exaggerating, to say the least.

Suppose you were lifting a 10 Kilogram weight. The highest a normal *PAP machine can go is 20cm and that would be equivalent to adding 200 grams to that weight. You'd probably notice it but only just.

Your airway should adjust to such a change without difficulty in a few days unless it has severe problems already, which a good doctor would already have noticed and likely started treatment for.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
So are you saying you don't think CPAP pressures can inhibit exhalation and lead to CAs as a result? I think I'm more confused now.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2016, 02:27 PM)shawn42 Wrote: So are you saying you don't think CPAP pressures can inhibit exhalation and lead to CAs as a result? I think I'm more confused now.

They inhibit exhalation of course, but only by a very small amount to which a normal set of lungs and chests can adapt fairly easily. Yes early on in therapy some obstructive apneas may be replaced by central ones, but so long as the AHI remains low this is not a problem and usually goes away with continued therapy.

If it doesn't and if your AHI remains too high then you probably need to graduate from CPAP to BiPAP or an ASV machine, or possibly added oxygen depending on the exact nature of your illness.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] ACPAP Waking me up at night. JetBalsa 20 2,028 02-15-2021, 06:57 PM
Last Post: JetBalsa
  Two weeks on ACPAP ianw42 7 1,239 10-04-2019, 08:22 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  Dreamstation ACPAP 15-H tube question paradox551 0 814 06-16-2019, 08:16 PM
Last Post: paradox551
  [Equipment] Newly diagnosed OSA - Which ACPAP Manju 20 3,023 10-18-2017, 05:55 AM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  Absolute Newbie: Can't sleep with ACPAP Manju 12 2,422 10-05-2017, 05:34 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.