Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why Are AHI High When Wide Awake?
Why Are AHI High When Wide Awake?
The following isn't something I have any real concern about, I'm just curious about it. My AHI is usually good, under one per hour. However I notice that on the rare night I lay for an hour wide awake, or wear my mask while reading in bed for an hour, and then look at the machine, AHI is very high for that hour, 10+. And to be clear, I'm talking about being wide awake, not half awake where I know sleep/wake events can sometimes be interpreted as AHI events.

I don't think I'm having any AHI events while reading in bed, so I'm curious why the machine thinks I'm having so many AHI events when I'm not sleeping. I'm not talking during this time or anything like that (which I'd think could be interpreted as AHI events).

Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why Are AHI High When Wide Awake?
Irregular breathing is perfectly normal while you're awake. Many different, perfectly normal things affect your breathing while you're awake. Just ignore it because your AHI while awake is meaningless.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2016, 02:23 AM)big_dave Wrote: Irregular breathing is perfectly normal while you're awake. Many different, perfectly normal things affect your breathing while you're awake. Just ignore it because your AHI while awake is meaningless.

Probably not a good thing to ignore if AHI compliance is required for driving licence/work...
The high AHI will lift the overall average AHI for compliance over time.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is no AHI while you're awake, although your machine continues to flag any pause in breathing exceeding 10 seconds. When you talk, drink, hold your breath for any reason including position changes or reading a good part in a book, that's what happens. A lot of people experience clusters of CA at sleep onset, and again these don't mean much to therapy. You are right to not be concerned, and you can just deduct these events if you're keeping track.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My machine (Dreamstation) does the same thing. When I lay awake, it flags events like crazy. It shouldn't be recording events while awake, but the machine doesn't really know if you are awake or asleep, so it just records what it senses.
Only advice is try to fall asleep faster (easier said than done) and also importantly shut it off first thing once you wake up for the morning, especially if you use snooze button.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dreams of Green, have you looked at your Sleepyhead data during those waking periods. Mine go up to and the are usually CA's.
I believe they will be an increase in CA's (Clear Airway) and I put them down to movement rather than Apnea's.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all!

Tex62, I have not looked at them in Sleepyhead but I will look and see what type of events they are. They would have to be due either to slight movement and/or irregular breathing, because I'm definitively not talking or drinking or anything like that which I'd expect to cause them.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep wake junk can create confusion when determining your real AHI, whether you are reading or just siffering from insomnia. Sleeprider is of course correct that you have learn to "deduct" these "events" to get your real AHI.

There are several threads on this in the forum see.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...d-insomnia
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-WAKE-JUNK
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 703 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 108 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,434 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 214 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 299 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.