Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why Auto Bipap instead of Bipap?
Question 
Why would one prefer usage of auto-bipap instead of bipap at the highest pressure required? Are there any side-effects of having a higher pressure all the time (eg. 14/10)?
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I prefer auto because it's more comfortable. The machine can stay at lower presures and raise as necessary, making it more comfortable over the course of the night.

Also, and perhaps more importantly is that your pressure needs can change based on diet, alcohol, weight, etc, and an auto machine is better suited to provide for these fluctuations.

That doesn't mean that an auto machine is for everyone. Some find a constant pressure more comfortable. Folks with central apnea can find that an auto machine can exacerbate their centrals.

I don't think there are really any adverse issues with high pressure other than it's not always as tolerated as lower tempuratures.
Post Reply Post Reply
I prefer auto bilevel and have used both Philips and Resmed versions. My strategy in auto bilevel is to use an effective pressure that results in no more than 3-4 cm variation through a normal night. While I would do reasonably well with fixed bilevel of 15/12, I do better with auto bilevel of 18/9 over PS 3 or in the case of Philips, PS 2-5. This starts me at 12/9 and most nights will vary up to 15/12 as needed, with rare excursions to 18/15. It's not disruptive and results in a lower event rate for me than fixed bilevel.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Respironics M-Series BiPap Auto Question Dawnstar 6 146 08-13-2017, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Respironics BiPap A40 petnew 2 104 08-10-2017, 10:12 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  PS Bipap auto settings.. gouravverma 5 227 08-03-2017, 02:05 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
Question [Equipment] Philips Respironics Dreamstation Auto BIPAP Oxygen Bleed In Issues mshelgamble 10 293 08-01-2017, 10:05 PM
Last Post: mshelgamble
  Future BiPAP user.. Which machine to ask for? Herb 118 5,112 07-27-2017, 05:24 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  DreamStation Auto BiPAP vs DreamStation Auto BiPAP Pro mraroid 5 248 07-25-2017, 08:44 AM
Last Post: bonjour
  Phillips Auto Bipap vs. Aircurve 10 Vauto? William Dunn 4 254 07-15-2017, 01:33 PM
Last Post: William Dunn