Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why Auto Bipap instead of Bipap?
Question 
Why Auto Bipap instead of Bipap?
Why would one prefer usage of auto-bipap instead of bipap at the highest pressure required? Are there any side-effects of having a higher pressure all the time (eg. 14/10)?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why Auto Bipap instead of Bipap?
Well, I prefer auto because it's more comfortable. The machine can stay at lower presures and raise as necessary, making it more comfortable over the course of the night.

Also, and perhaps more importantly is that your pressure needs can change based on diet, alcohol, weight, etc, and an auto machine is better suited to provide for these fluctuations.

That doesn't mean that an auto machine is for everyone. Some find a constant pressure more comfortable. Folks with central apnea can find that an auto machine can exacerbate their centrals.

I don't think there are really any adverse issues with high pressure other than it's not always as tolerated as lower tempuratures.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why Auto Bipap instead of Bipap?
I prefer auto bilevel and have used both Philips and Resmed versions. My strategy in auto bilevel is to use an effective pressure that results in no more than 3-4 cm variation through a normal night. While I would do reasonably well with fixed bilevel of 15/12, I do better with auto bilevel of 18/9 over PS 3 or in the case of Philips, PS 2-5. This starts me at 12/9 and most nights will vary up to 15/12 as needed, with rare excursions to 18/15. It's not disruptive and results in a lower event rate for me than fixed bilevel.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 939 7 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 63 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 136 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 110 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 621 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 195 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 585 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.