Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why I hate MyAir more than the heat of 1000 suns!
Why I hate MyAir more than the heat of 1000 suns!
Last week I did a little inadvertent experimentation on myself. I was having trouble falling asleep, so after masking up I propped myself up on pillows reading, trying to get sleepy enough. If I wear the cervical collar while reading like that, I have to hold the book way up high to see it, so I was planning that when I got drowsy I'd put the collar on -- and that was why I already had the mask on, so I would only have one task when it was time. Of course what happened is that after an hour of insomnia I fell asleep with chin tucked and no collar Oh-jeez . Of course a s***storm of events followed!

Here is my OSCAR overview from the night:

Here's what MyAir had to say in giving me the score of 98 out of 100 for that train wreck:

Really?!?

AHI of 7.99 still merits 4 of 5 points for AHI?!? I had a peak AHI of 51 during the episode, and desaturated down to 89/90 multiple times!

The machine spent the entire episode pegged at the maximum pressure!

Since I only interrupted once (to put the cervical collar on) MyAir didn't ding me for mask on/off, but I know that if I have more than that one interruption it starts dinging me points -- six mask on/off costs me the whole 5 points.

So 2 minutes after I get in bed I realize I forgot something and jump out of bed for a minute. I get up once to go to the bathroom, once to take my morning meds -- it totals up to four times and I'm a therapy failure. But the machine completely fails to prevent 47 OAs and 3 hypopneas in one hours time and it tells me that it's doing an excellent job!

really.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why I hate MyAir more than the heat of 1000 suns!
Agreed!

The worst part is my doctors only look at the data from ResMed...
AHI, usage, and leak
Post Reply Post Reply
Well at least WHEN you put the collar you did fine.  Not that helps with my air but you should be happy that you have found what works for you!!
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
You used the PAP for more than 4 hours, so it thinks you did great. OK you got dinged for mask removals but here's a green grinning ghoul. Now all's well! Or not...

[Image: rN3ZcXh.png]

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2021, 04:55 PM)staceyburke Wrote: Well at least WHEN you put the collar you did fine.  Not that helps with my air but you should be happy that you have found what works for you!!

Except that I started with APAP in October, 2014, used first Sleepyhead and then OSCAR from Day One, and didn't figure out what was causing those occasional bursts of catastrophic obstructive events until Gideon and Sleeprider clued me in two months ago.

As a professional software developer who has written videogames, MyAir looks like what happens when the programmers who don't know anything about sleep disordered breathing need to come up with something that has a score that adds up to 100, so they just pulled "mask on/off" out of thin air. (I was going to say something cruder about where they pulled it out of, but restrained myself. Grin )

That particular night I had a period of about 45 minutes of positional apnea and during those 45 minutes I spent 20 minutes -- 44% of the time -- not breathing.

There is this huge (and expensive!) infrastructure of sleep clinics and DMEs and insurance companies and equipment manufacturers, and as far as I can tell nothing in the workflow of sleep medicine is designed to alert the patient or any medical profession when something deadly serious is going very very wrong. And ResMed has foisted this stupid toy videogame on us and acts like they are doing us stupid peons such a big favor by pretending that this stupid mask on/off metric is what matters.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2021, 05:19 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: You used the PAP for more than 4 hours, so it thinks you did great. OK you got dinged for mask removals but here's a green grinning ghoul. Now all's well! Or not...

[Image: rN3ZcXh.png]

Coffee

Oh, and Dave thanks for reminding me about the most important part of the rant, which is those stupid happy faces. I've had nights where I woke up multiple times with the mask making that trombone noise, and got a green smiley face for leaks. I've never figured out how high your AHI has to go to get a frowny face -- will you just be dead?!?!
Post Reply Post Reply
Well... In that case you'd never find out. IMO MyAir is a waste of wireless signal.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
MyAir is a feel good app.  Even though you feel like 9 miles of bad road, you can tell everyone that you got a smiley face.

I got a smiley face, a smiley face, a smiley face!
 Smile  Smile  Smile
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wish I could hack MyAir. Here's a new smiley face...

Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
If you thought the happy faces were stupid, you haven't gotten any of the virtual Gold Stars yet...
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] So far I hate CPAP mindyb01 5 400 01-24-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: rogerded1
  Soft Cervical Collar and Heat Retention Columbiabill 3 371 01-21-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Gross [Equipment] HELP! Heat & Humidity settings are Choking Me! James87 3 372 12-21-2023, 11:00 AM
Last Post: James87
  eson2 mask and heat tubing kerm007 2 403 10-07-2023, 02:56 PM
Last Post: kerm007
Question Resmed Myair wrong region bobdobbs 3 574 10-05-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  My best streak so far on MyAir App scores DaveInDenver 1 440 09-13-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  AirSense 11 and MyAir App - Poor Experience necochino 29 4,450 08-24-2023, 05:42 PM
Last Post: krsattler

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.