Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why "New factory sealed" cpap are open box?
Why "New factory sealed" cpap are open box?
On website of Supplier #2, two types of CPAP machines are available: "Used" and "New factory sealed".

For "New factory sealed", the notes says it is "New, Open box". What does that mean? If it is new then why it is open box? 

Can anyone please shed some light on it.

Regards,
Kamran
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why "New factory sealed" cpap are open box?
Minimum advertised price restrictions imposed by manufacturer's on their distribution network are no small concern for a DME/authorized retailer. However, if a box has been opened for any reason (display, demonstration, evade MAP restrictions), then a lower price might be permissible online for a "limited" number of units.

The prices asked by Supplier #2 are in line with what we are seeing from sellers operating behind channels like Amazon and Craigslist. I think you are buying a machine that is new, but may have been "inspected" before shipping. Any of the online suppliers should be contacted regarding prices that might be available, but not posted online. I think you would be surprised that discounts are available from many online suppliers, if you deal with a sales agent personally.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think that Sleeprider answered that very well. My original APAP purchase was from Supplier #1 and because they wouldn't ship out of the USA, a very helpful member of 'that other forum" got the machine for me after we had exchanged money. To make sure that no taxes would be owing, she opened the box, used the machine with her own hose/mask etc for an hour therefore making the machine "used".

Sleeprider has shown how Supplier #2 can do the same thing to circumvent minimum advertised price restrictions. In other areas these are called 'grey imports'.

I've just recently got a 'gently used' BiPAP from the same supplier. It was that gently used that the blower hours read zero - in effect a new machine. The machine had a very small flaw in the case, sort of like a nick.

I'd happily use these guys again as their service was impeccable.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2017, 12:00 AM)AmazonCustomer Wrote: So, some unscrupulous Resmed distributors, in Florida mainly, refurbish Resmed CPAPs and repackage them professionally to make them look as new... and they sell them on Amazon as brand new in the box.

Yes, but I don't think it's possible to reset the hours used on a Resmed machine, so would be hard to refurbish a used machine and pretend it's new.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2017, 12:11 AM)tedgreen Wrote:
(06-03-2017, 12:00 AM)AmazonCustomer Wrote: So, some unscrupulous Resmed distributors, in Florida mainly, refurbish Resmed CPAPs and repackage them professionally to make them look as new... and they sell them on Amazon as brand new in the box.

Yes, but I don't think it's possible to reset the hours used on a Resmed machine, so would be hard to refurbish a used machine and pretend it's new.

The brick and mortar DME channel, especially the big chains do not like that machines are available at a discount.  They create stories like this, and more importantly, threaten the sites that carry the sales, so we sometimes see CPAP machines and masks pulled, and no sales available.  I'm pleased that they have returned (for now) because there is a real need for this among the many uninsured, and those with high deductibles that would experience serious financial distress if forced into the medical Mafia.  Doctor appointments, multiple sleep studies, and over-priced DME equipment should not be the normal way we get care!  Very few of us are able to work the system to get good care at reasonable cost...for the rest, there is Amazon and SecondWindCPAP.

My research into the sellers that use Amazon is that most are legitimate DMEs or equipment distributors. The direct sales are (in my opinion) both a public service, and way for them to increase volume, while not exposing their sales to the oversight of manufacturers or the medical / sleep industry special interests that want to limit availability and promote ridiculous profit margins. Just in case you were wondering how I really feel. Smile
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,225 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  String of open airway events vinegarben 34 4,009 02-16-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Abdominal pain from open mouth. 4 days Neo2020 1 364 01-03-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can you open your mouth with CPAP and have no mouth leak? THEVGE 4 733 09-11-2023, 06:06 AM
Last Post: THEVGE
  Apex XT Auto CPAP - Error 003 - Factory Reset? zephyr325 0 878 05-24-2023, 03:52 PM
Last Post: zephyr325
  Does one learn not to open mouth with a Nasal mask? BobH56 7 1,290 09-22-2022, 02:38 PM
Last Post: BobH56
  OSCAR - Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporter SuperSleeper 1 26,247 06-17-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: GuyScharf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.