Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why No mouth leaks when open Mouth ?
Why No mouth leaks when open Mouth ?
APAP Symptoms,  When new to  using APAP had trouble keeping mouth closed and at times would be woken during night by what felt like a build up of Air Gushing from mouth, I  would then   close mouth to stop this leak. In morning I would  my stomach would also feel bloated, I presumed was from air going to my stomach?  on top of this would feel need to continually pass wind.  It has dawned on me this dose not happen any more, No more air gushing from mouth, Bloated stomach  or the   need to pass wind and don't think I  have an issue keeping mouth closed, and on top of this am actually able to  open mouth while using APAP, and this will not cause air to leak of from mouth.  Is this Normal as thought an open mouth would break the air cycle's via Nose, throat, mouth and reason required  to keep mouth closed while using CPAP/APAP, and the obvious reason for use of chin straps to assist keeping mouth closed and stop mouth leaks ??

Iceman
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why No mouth leaks when open Mouth ?
You describe symptoms of two separate problems. The swallowing of air does cause the bloating and wind passing. Opening the mouth can cause the pressurized air to escape. Both of these problems tend to subside as we adapt to the therapy. But do check your leak graphs to make sure you really are no longer mouth-leaking.

It is possible to have your mouth open but have no air leak out. The back of your tongue forms a seal against the roof of your mouth preventing the leak. When this seal fails it causes what we call mouth-leaking, even though the leak actually originates behind the mouth.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleepster,  I use a Dreamwear mask that fits under nose and  if I open mouth wide, place hand close to mouth do not feel any Air Leak coming from mouth,  where as previously  would know and feel as soon as opened mouth. I am also able to talk with mask on and while voice little distorted still does not appear to be Leaking any air from mouth.  With mask on breathing in and out via nose, I do feel the the air leak from special designed Nasal air escape point on the dreamwear mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, you have a full face mask. I didn't notice that until now. Mouth-leaking is an issue only for nasal mask wearers.

Those experiments you conduct while awake can't tell you what's happening when you're asleep. You need to check the leak rate graph in SleepyHead to see if there are extended periods of time when the leak rate is elevated above the other times when it's lower. The numbers alone can tell you only so much. It's alos necessary to look at the graph, something that doctors don't usually do or care about.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Iceman - I've been finding the same thing, lately. I think my body has adapted to cpap, and has learned how to seal better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepster, Actual have Just the Dreamwear Nasal Mask that fits under Nose and up around top head has No Nose pillows,  Mouth is not covered in any way by Mask
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Hydrangea, That was what i was wondering if,  is due to adapting to APAP, dose seam bit seam strange to explain how would adapt to it  muscles tighten ? also concerned might mean my APAP not working correctly ??
Post Reply Post Reply
ICEMAN,
There is nothing wrong with your machine.  You have inadvertently conquered the tongue seal technique without trying.   Smile

This is something I try to tell folk to practice.

Place your tongue to the roof of your mouth with tip of tongue behind front teeth.  Gently suck upwards.  Your tongue then finds a natural place and makes a seal at the back of throat so if you open your mouth, no air will escape.

You just seem to be able to do this naturally.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You wouldn't be able to blow up a balloon without air coming out your nose if you couldn't seal the nose from the mouth. I believe most that are successful with a nasal mask is not because they keep their mouth tightly closed while sleeping but it is because  they are able to keep the mouth-nose seal while sleeping. Trying to overcome the leaking between the nose and mouth by resorting to chip straps and mouth taping can result in the cheeks puffing up like a balloon. I assume that's why many end up using a FFM.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2017, 09:51 PM)Jimsp1 Wrote: You wouldn't be able to blow up a balloon without air coming out your nose if you couldn't seal the nose from the mouth. I believe most that are successful with a nasal mask is not because they keep their mouth tightly closed while sleeping but it is because  they are able to keep the mouth-nose seal while sleeping. Trying to overcome the leaking between the nose and mouth by resorting to chip straps and mouth taping can result in the cheeks puffing up like a balloon. I assume that's why many end up using a FFM.

I agree. When I first started, I was getting tiny leaks out my lips or a bit of puffing of the cheeks. That doesn't tend to happen very much now. And I can even make the yawning motion without air sneaking out!

I liken it to learning to play an instrument. Trumpeters have to learn how to play without puffing out their cheeks. For me, as a clarinetist, I had to learn how to play the range of notes without air sneaking out my nose. So I feel like the CPAP is sort of similar.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 34 Today, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 376 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 140 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 161 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.