Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why So Expensive?
Why So Expensive?
Firstly thanks to the originators of this forum as it certainly supplies some great information on products as well as providing great support to sufferers of sleep disorders.

Now as a recently diagnosed sufferer of severe OSA, and new user of a Resmed S9 Auto Set I would like to know why the Resmed S9 Auto Set is double the price in Australia compared to the USA? So far I have found that it is a great unit and very advanced, it also seems to be used by a majority of people that post here but why is a unit produced here in Australia twice the retail price that it is in the US? I have no choice other than to pay the local price but it sure raises a lot of questions as to why it is so expensive in Australia compared to the USA?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why So Expensive?
Cause ya'll get the good ones! They ship the broken, squeaky, whistling ones here. Good to know we get them for half price though!

Seriously though, I don't know, just looked up the currency exchange rate and the Australian dollar is stronger than the US dollar.....so that didn't help any. Got me interested also...anyone have an idea?
Post Reply Post Reply
Perhaps because you have the Therapeutic Goods Administration who regulate medical devices.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes the medical field in Australia is highly regulated but it appears to me that in the US you require a prescription from a Doctor to even buy a Cpap device whilst here in Australia I do not, I can just buy without a script.

If Resmed can produce the machines here in Australia and market them in the US at half the price as in Australia I suspect that there is more to the story.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-28-2013, 09:38 AM)kmar92 Wrote: Yes the medical field in Australia is highly regulated but it appears to me that in the US you require a prescription from a Doctor to even buy a Cpap device whilst here in Australia I do not, I can just buy without a script.

If Resmed can produce the machines here in Australia and market them in the US at half the price as in Australia I suspect that there is more to the story.

maybe they are less expensive in Australia if you purchase them through the medical coverage and not a personal purchase? I don't know why they would be more expensive there than in the US.

I do know that petro is sometimes more expensive in the area that produces the petro than in other areas where the petro has to be delivered. All I can attribute that to is that the area where the petro is produced has the additional cost of doing all of the things that has to be done to make it a viable product for its intended purpose.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know why the price difference.
What prevents you Aussies from buying from a US supplier?
Post Reply Post Reply
Beats me. ResMed being an Aussie company, do they basically have the market cornered on CPAP and CPAP supplies over there? Or is the pricing similar for non-ResMed products?
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome kmar92, It's basically greed and supply and demand, the suppliers here make a lot more money and we are basically paying for their time and so called expertise, also there are a lot more people in the US and theirs are covered a lot more by insurance where ours aren't. Our insurance covers about 20% of the cost, if you have insurance. We are at about 95c to the US dollar so almost parity so it's not the exchange rate. The best idea is to get you first one from a supplier, then get an understanding of all things CPAP and the next time buy over the net from the US.
Post Reply Post Reply
But hurry, Obamacare is coming!
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-28-2013, 05:32 PM)Bobshouse Wrote: But hurry, Obamacare is coming!

and Obamacare is what is hurting those that have insurance and our good plans are going away and the ones we will get have more for us to pay and our premiums will increase to help pay for those that don't pay for theirs through or don't pay much through obamacare. and it doesn't matter if those that pay their own insurance are on ssi and low income! we still have to subsidize obamacare!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does Your Expensive Resmed 10 have Auto Daylight Saving Time Adjustment? S. Manz 45 4,979 11-07-2022, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Gary K
  Does An Expensive Pillow Help? PerChancetoDream 11 1,890 10-31-2020, 12:30 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Why is the machine rental so expensive? Should we just buy a unit? Also masks... Twinsplus1 8 5,132 09-20-2012, 08:10 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.