Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why?--Time of snore coincides with OA time, but not time of flow limitation.
Why?--Time of snore coincides with OA time, but not time of flow limitation.
Often, if not always, I see coincidence of the time of a snore with time of an obstructive apnea, but no concurrent indication of a flow limitation. Why is that?

What are the "mechanics" that explain the flow difference between a snore and a flow limitation? This question arises as I view Sleepy Head graphics.
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why?--Time of snore coincides with OA time, but not time of flow limitation.
On a Resmed machine a OA/H event will be at least a 50% reduction of flow for at least 10 seconds. If it's less than either it will show up as a flow limitation. The difference between the flow limitation and snore is how it's recorded in the flow chart. The flow limitation will show reduced flow on the chart where a snore will show more of a ragged disruption to the flow pattern. If you go to the link Beginners Guide to sleepyhead below it shows chart examples.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 0 13 46 minutes ago
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  What is that spike in Flow limit? urachan 7 448 03-16-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: urachan
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 5 141 03-16-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  Help with spotting flow rate RERA's apnea505 3 140 03-14-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: apnea505
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 8 130 03-14-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 0 89 03-13-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: cathyf
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 546 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.