Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why US health care costs so much
RE: Why US health care costs so much
The point JJJ is bringing up is very valid. In this country the medical suppliers and the insurance companies have figured out how to "fleece" the government, Medicare especially. Medicare brought it on themselves by establishing in the beginning (as did Blue Cross/Blue Shield) that no matter what you bill them, they will only pay a certain amount, or in some cases a certain percentage. So over the years the costs per patient day in the hospital, the costs of an aspirin, the costs of a medical device including those we use has skyrocketed. It's really not so much the government as it is the "fleecing" of the government, and ultimately the fleecing of each of us. I'm on a number of meds that I continue to order "off shore" because even though my personal costs for the co-pay aren't that great I resent the pharmacies billing 10 times or more the price for these meds. Oh... but my pharmacy and insurance friends will tell me meds I order from Australia aren't safe like ours are! I guess that's why all our Australian friends are sick all the time. Nonsense.
Post Reply Post Reply
Want a real kick? Have an outpatient procedure.

Total time at facility: 3 hours.

Pre-insurance bill: $19,000.

Of course, that doesn't include the doc or anesthesiologist.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2014, 12:53 PM)mdh235 Wrote: Want a real kick? Have an outpatient procedure.

But for the $19,000.00 they will change the sheets!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2014, 01:17 PM)retired_guy Wrote:
(03-12-2014, 12:53 PM)mdh235 Wrote: Want a real kick? Have an outpatient procedure.

But for the $19,000.00 they will change the sheets!

They did give me a nice pair of socks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2014, 12:49 PM)retired_guy Wrote: In this country the medical suppliers and the insurance companies have figured out how to "fleece" the government, Medicare especially.
Both the government and private companies are in cahoots in fleecing the tax payers. If wanted, the government can shut the loopholes ... after all they,re the law makers, they,re supposedly protecting the interests of the people they serve and who pay their salaries ... not some co-operation interests
Post Reply Post Reply
It seems to me that Medicare could save a fortune if they just had everyone buy everything on Amazon.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2014, 07:18 PM)JJJ Wrote: It seems to me that Medicare could save a fortune if they just had everyone buy everything on Amazon.

well, that might be great if they (medicare) pays a portion of it. I don't want to pay insurance premiums and then have to pay 100% out of pocket buying from amazon or a supplier from a supplier on the forum supplier list
Post Reply Post Reply
It seems the DME maximizes profits and burdens Medicare by instructing the patient to replace masks, hoses, filters, etc. when the parts are perfectly serviceable. I suppose they are simply recommending replacement based on Medicare's allowable resupply schedule but it seems too frequent to me. If Medicare operates like this on all medical supplies, patients are tossing a lot of taxpayer money into the trash basket.
Post Reply Post Reply
I picked up a couple new cushions for my Swift FX from DME last weekend and noticed the cost on the paperwork listed as $56.00. I think that is absurd for two little silicone cushions. I am allowed two new ones every month. I probably don't need them that often. Seems I can use one for a month before I start having problems with it. I will slow down getting them as I just don't think it is right getting them that often for that cost if I don't need them as often. Will be interesting to see what my insurance shows as having actually paid for those cushions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Simple change in the law:

If your insurance company is paying MORE than you can get it for, then you get your regular insurance payment plus half the difference.

Create a nation of bargain hunters.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gut Absorbtion Health? Zoltyzolt 0 90 03-21-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: Zoltyzolt
  React Health Luna G3 CPAP apotter11 3 205 03-01-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Cool [Health] FYI: OSA AND EYE HEALTH srlevine1 2 305 01-27-2024, 01:54 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Rant about insurance, sleep study, and costs Stuff 8 1,141 06-20-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  CPAP, dry mouth, and poor oral health Liteheart1 10 1,778 09-23-2022, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Liteheart1
  Care Provider change for CPAP data. Laslo 2 1,008 04-10-2022, 10:30 PM
Last Post: cathyf
  Sleep health tips needed StillHoping 5 1,010 01-21-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: StillHoping

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.