Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why We Sleep. An excellent program on the radio today.
Why We Sleep. An excellent program on the radio today.
I was driving long-distance today and heard an EXCELLENT, casual, radio presentation by the author of Why We Sleep [link removed; Google book title or see this post about how to listen to the MP3 File]. This was on a non-profit channel, the author is a scientist at a non-profit academic institution, and recorded at a non-profit location, so I hope it's okay to cite.

It explores so many of the issues that are the background for why it's important to treat sleep apnea: of sleep needs to be optimal including the role of too little sleep and Alzheimer's as well as over-eating, the biochemical differences between REM and non-REM sleep, how the latter gets distributed through the night, what time to wake up, what exactly gets refreshed during a good night's sleep.

The presenter makes the science of sleep very understandable. His points are evidence-based and not at all superficial.

Great podcast for the car, IMO.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why We Sleep. An excellent program on the radio today.
I've been working my way through the book; it's very dense. Lots of good information. Unfortunately, everybody else wants to read it, too. So I end up waiting several weeks between chances to read it.

The full title is "Why we sleep : unlocking the power of sleep and dreams" and the author is Matthew P. Walker.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes. This is a radio Q and A event with an excellent interviewer. Walker’s explanations are clear as a bell. If you found his book a bit dense but appreciate the content, I imagine you’d find the interview easier going. I’m going to have to listen a few times. Every moment had a gem.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am also in the middle of reading the book.  While I am enjoying it, the coverage of OSA is very limited.  Still, I highly recommend it and it is a very interesting overview of the research regarding sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I uploaded the MP3 to our SleepFiles.com server...

You can listen to the MP3 audio file here:

http://www.SleepFiles.com/why-we-sleep.mp3
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I put myself on wait list at our online library for the audio version of the book. Sometimes dense stuff is easier in an audio version. Seems popular, it will be a while till I get it.

Thanks for the tip.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, the coverage of apneas is limited, but every moment provides incentive on why we should be treating apneas. Healthy sleep is much more crucial to well-being than I could ever have believed.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 113 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 186 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Smile Alan's New ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Came Today! Deborah K. 16 790 02-08-2024, 09:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Diagnosis] Excellent AHI, poor sleep quality --> palatal prolapse? aquamike 5 830 12-18-2023, 10:04 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,318 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 793 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 986 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.