Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why are ResMed and Respironics so popular?
Why are ResMed and Respironics so popular?
Just curious... as I was searching around to see what it cost to buy a new or a used CPAP in response to another question here I discovered... there are TONS of different manufacturers out there. ResMed seems to be the most popular manufacturer, followed by Respironics. Just curious, why is that? Seems like there are some less expensive offerings. Are the ResMed and Respironics machines that much better or is there another reason... perhaps it's regional and the other manufacturers just aren't as popular in the US?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why are ResMed and Respironics so popular?
From what I know, or think I know, Resmed invented the CPAP and brought the first machine to market and Resperionics is owned by Philips Electronics, so large brand name.

I think I also saw some testing of several brands and some of the smaller brands did not perform as well in that specific test, but it was skewed to very fast aggressive pressure changes, so Resmed and one other did best at that.

My guess, marketing budget, sales rep coverage working with DME's an Doctors offices. There may or may not be actual performance issues with some of them.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks... makes a lot of sense for ResMed having had the most experience in the field (or at least one would assume). Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
The better models of the Philips Respironics and ResMed machines are good. Probably at least a little better than the competition in several ways, especially in terms of data collection.

More than that, I suspect is that the DME's and doctors don't want to learn how to use and support several different incompatible lines of CPAP machines and associated software.

There's probably also a difference in the amount of marketing the suppliers do.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Because they both suck!Rolleyes

Just some of my juvenile/senile humor.

You know they always say "go with the leader" when you make a purchase. And leader is a loaded term.

But it looks like ResMed and PR have worked pretty hard to lead the CPAP market.

Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder about the Devilbliss machines as they are a leader in industrial breathing and air products...
Post Reply Post Reply
The DeVillbiss machines are very, very good. i have used them and I would not hesitate to go with one of the Intellipap Autos as my primary machine. I had considered one as a travel machine when I found Supplier #2 had a stock of new in box S-8 AutoSet II units for far less than I could get the Intellipap for. (I cut my CPAP teeth on an S-8 and loved it. It is a very compact machine without the humidificator. No power brick required, runs well on 12 V battery too without a converter brick - if you properly wire up the plug (which is backwards).) The DeVillbiss machines require a special donglehickey if one is a detailed data junkie. They are not bricks, they do have onboard data reporting via a code that is decipherable thorough a web interface. That would likely be plenty good for me. But for the more detailed, full-bore data on an SD card, you would need the donglehickey.

The Respironics and ResMed machines are also very good. Know nothing about Fisher & Paykel.

Primarily because of power options, I do not favor ResMed. My ordered list would be 1. Respironics, 2. DeVillbiss (a VERY close second), and then 3. ResMed.

But to answer your question, why the two "R" machines are usually the most popular, I would have to say the only real differentiator would be marketing budget. And inertia to get suppliers to change once they are invested in a particular manufacturer's eco-system. Also as marketshare leaders, they can amortize development costs over a bigger number of production units so they can be more aggressive in bringing new/improved products and accessories to market at a lower cost/higher margin.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply

I had a BMC Resmart auto machine . It had the main board replaced under warranty after 2 years. Then 18 months later the machine did the main board again. I didn't want to spend the $300+ for the fix. So I got a Airsence 10 auto from the US.
I got the BMC cause it was my cheapest option at the time. It did the job and provided enough data for the sleep doctors to ok me for being a bus driver. I'm now retired, so don't have to see a sleep doctor.
Don't think I can say I notice any difference with now I feel between the 2.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too am in Australia and because my husband was happy with his ResMart machine I bought one too although mine is auto
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed is the most "popular" at the moment, in part, due to the reporting platform they provide the DMEs. Basically with the A10 (with its cell connection) they provide all the requisite compliance data without lifting a finger. Also, they provide the DMEs with a backend platform of some description both with integrating the client, the insurer and supplies. Phillips is trying to catch up and that was where the DreamStation was meant to be part of - But, I don't think Phillips has really got its act together in providing the simplicity since they have a number of different ways to connect which I understand doesn't sell as well with the DMEs (at least that's what our analyst says). Not sure about the other manufacturers.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,034 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 228 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 783 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 672 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,406 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  Philips Respironics DreamStation not reaching Max Pressure Xsoldier2000 15 2,294 01-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Tom Buck
  Respironics Recall Resolved Jeremy H 0 349 09-16-2023, 05:20 AM
Last Post: Jeremy H

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.