Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why are chin straps ugly?
Why are chin straps ugly?
Hi all,

I have a new tablet computer, and as I couldn't sleep the other night I decided to try and familiarise myself with it (I'm a Luddite and a technophobe). So, wearing my mask and chinstrap, I lay on my tum in bed typing away. Then I decided to try out the forward facing camera. As I was in bed, on my stomach the only thing I could take a pic of was me. Oh boy! What a sight. The pillows and head straps were bad enough. But at least they were trying to look minimalist, the pillows being translucent and the head gear mainly soft pink.

But the navy blue chin strap, ugh. Really, Resmed? Really?

So, I had a look on [link removed] for a replacement. Colour choices? Navy, burgundy, or the most ridiculous white thing from Phillips that looks a yard or more wide!

Why not pale grey, pale pink, soft beige? It is bad enough having to use these machines, which let's face it, are hardly conducive to romance, without some hideous thick, conspicuous strap covering what little is left of my face!

'Nuff said. Rant over...
-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why are chin straps ugly?
Yeah, I know what you mean- the whole set up is not conducive to intimacy. One good thing for me is that even if my chin strap is ugly it works and I can use the minimalist Wisp.
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='iwant2sleep' pid='36990' dateline='1369328680']So, I had a look on ... for a replacement. Colour choices? Navy, burgundy, or the most ridiculous white thing from Phillips that looks a yard or more wide!

There are lots of chinstraps out there, and most are pretty ugly. I started with one from my DME that is basically a 4" ace bandage with velcro. It worked, but I wanted something more minimalist, so I bought a different one (recommended by people here) from an online supplier. It was terrible and didn't work worth a damn. I have gone back to the one from my DME, but I am thinking of making my own. I mean, I can buy an ace bandage from the drugstore and I own a pair of scissors. How tough could it be?
Post Reply Post Reply
Once it is time to turn out the lights and go to sleep, who sees it? I have one but don't use it. If it looks like I need it when and if I have another lab study they would wake me and tell me. No one sees me when I sleep at home as I live alone. My dogs don't notice or care, lol. Being alone, myself, I assume when intimate you are not wearing the headgear etc. But since I have no partner, what do I know? Maybe you could make your own? Even cute patterns?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have two comments to make about chinstraps from my experience. Most of the ones you buy lose their elasticity quite quickly and give a less than ideal service. You have to keep taking them up until all the adjustment has gone. For what they are the price is ridiculous

An two inch elastic bandage from the drugstore is way cheaper and just as good if not better. Experiment a few times till you get the right amount of tension then put a few stitches or safety pins strategically through the convolutions at various points around the wrap to stop it becoming unravelled in the night or when you take it off.
Perfection, for about the price of a can of coke
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2013, 09:44 PM)JJJ Wrote: I can buy an ace bandage from the drugstore and I own a pair of scissors. How tough could it be?

You really need to re think this issue.

You are going to need a Dremel tool and some duct tape in addition to the scissors and an Ace bandage to really make this work.

OMyMyOHellYes
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2013, 09:31 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote:
(05-23-2013, 09:44 PM)JJJ Wrote: I can buy an ace bandage from the drugstore and I own a pair of scissors. How tough could it be?

You are going to need a Dremel tool and some duct tape in addition to the scissors and an Ace bandage to really make this work.

You lost me. What on earth would I use the Dremel tool for? And the duct tape?

It's just a chin strap. It's an elastic strap that goes under the chin and up over the head to keep the mouth from opening. That's all it is.
Post Reply Post Reply

You really need to re think this issue.

OMyMyOHellYes
Not really, you just bandage your mouth shut, it doesn't have to be that complicated

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2013, 11:51 PM)JJJ Wrote:

You lost me. What on earth would I use the Dremel tool for? And the duct tape?

It's just a chin strap. It's an elastic strap that goes under the chin and up over the head to keep the mouth from opening. That's all it is.

You're just not thinking of this problem like a medical device manufacturer would. You're going way too simple....

Laugh-a-lot

OMyMyOHellYes

Post Reply Post Reply
I do not advocate mouth taping. I consider it a dangerous and unnecessary practice.

ResMed makes a simple chin strap that is, basically, a short piece of stretchy fabric with hook and loop on the ends. It would be easy to make one out of an Ace bandage.

You want the chin strap tight enough to keep your mouth shut but not so tight you cannot chew.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 598 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 369 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,112 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 502 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Chin Tucking as cause of apnea ejbpesca 111 6,178 02-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 412 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  P10 straps slipping acordeon 1 301 01-17-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.