Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why are hypopneas 10 seconds long?
RE: Why are hypopneas 10 seconds long?
(08-01-2016, 08:06 AM)green wings Wrote: Yes, events that each get counted the same may be very different in severity. ................
This observation has concerned me from the start of my therapy. As indicated by this thread, a person with apneas of 30 second average duration ought to be at higher risk than one with those of 15 seconds average duration, even if both persons have the same AHI<5. Yet the "definition" takes no account of duration beyond the 10 second minimum. Bear in mind that these machines are (in the US) FDA approved. Therefore, I gotta believe that their algorithms are incorporated in that approval. OTOH, any algorithmic overlay by the SH programmers is, far as I can tell, not subject to FDA review. If so, I'd have thought the programmers would take great pains to indicate where the data presentation exceeds the bounds of the legal standard.

Good thread. -Ron

We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-01-2016, 11:02 AM)rkl122 Wrote: This observation has concerned me from the start of my therapy. As indicated by this thread, a person with apneas of 30 second average duration ought to be at higher risk than one with those of 15 seconds average duration, even if both persons have the same AHI<5. Yet the "definition" takes no account of duration beyond the 10 second minimum. Bear in mind that these machines are (in the US) FDA approved. Therefore, I gotta believe that their algorithms are incorporated in that approval. OTOH, any algorithmic overlay by the SH programmers is, far as I can tell, not subject to FDA review. If so, I'd have thought the programmers would take great pains to indicate where the data presentation exceeds the bounds of the legal standard.

Good thread. -Ron

That's why distilling efficiency to a single number (the AHI) does not give the full picture.

As for Sleepyhead: There are legal disclaimers as to its suitability for diagnostic use. OTOH: Sleepyhead is the only multi-OS, multilingual, multi-PAP manufacturer software available. And one cannot beat the price.

JediMark and his team of Jedi knights have done a marvelous job in its development.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
As far as 10 seconds being less of a problem than 50 seconds, while perhaps true, IMHO makes no difference in most situations. The treatment will be initiated until AHI is below 5. Now if someone is at 5 AHI and all of their apneas are 120 seconds each then I would assume that O2 levels would be checked and action taken based on the remaining lowered O2 levels.

Again of course with the given questionable focus by some sleep Doctors, being able to actually see how long an apnea is, with support from this forum at least I think I can safely assume that someone would suggest a recording O2 meter and further follow-up with the medical staff for anyone that even with treatment still has low O2 levels
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-01-2016, 01:08 PM)justMongo Wrote: ................

JediMark and his team of Jedi knights have done a marvelous job in its development.
Agreed 100%. I find SH fascinating and helpful, and use it every day. (Have made a donation also.) I certainly don't mean to disparage the overall accomplishment. I just wish it was very clear if, where, and how the software is tweaking the event data delivered by the machine - as opposed to leaving it up to users to discover anomalies such as the one outlined in this thread.

I anticipate the next SH upgrade with bated breath - that's 'bated' as in 'breathing under pressure'. Smile

-Ron

We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let me see if I can explain why I think the post would help.
When I first started therapy. I saw the same thing on mine. Almost all Hypo and all 10 seconds.

Overtime I have taken a deeper look into the data and have continued to learn from the folks here in the forum that are a lot smarter than I.

For an example; I have attached a copy of my raw data set from sleepyhead for the month of July that shows all my events for the month. Notice how many of the events are 10 seconds. The events below 10 don't post in the sleepy head daily view so you won't see them unless export the raw data. It is possible that you are not having any significant numbers of events above 10; and you would have to watch the data very closely to find them.

(07-31-2016, 07:42 PM)Rcgop Wrote: No need to post. Every hypopnea ever registered since the beginning is exactly 10seconds. No more, no less.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-01-2016, 01:46 PM)PoolQ Wrote: As far as 10 seconds being less of a problem than 50 seconds, while perhaps true, IMHO makes no difference in most situations. The treatment will be initiated until AHI is below 5. Now if someone is at 5 AHI and all of their apneas are 120 seconds each then I would assume that O2 levels would be checked and action taken based on the remaining lowered O2 levels.

Again of course with the given questionable focus by some sleep Doctors, being able to actually see how long an apnea is, with support from this forum at least I think I can safely assume that someone would suggest a recording O2 meter and further follow-up with the medical staff for anyone that even with treatment still has low O2 levels

I thought that we were discussing Hypopneas.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
My SleepyHead v0.9.8-1 (testing) with my Resmed S9 VPAP Auto records hypopnea duration times in the events table. My ResScan (older version) does not record any hypopnea time durations from my Resmed S9 VPAP Auto

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-01-2016, 11:02 AM)rkl122 Wrote: Yet the "definition" takes no account of duration beyond the 10 second minimum. Bear in mind that these machines are (in the US) FDA approved. Therefore, I gotta believe that their algorithms are incorporated in that approval.

I think, but don't for sure. that the data recorded on the SD card is simply interpreted by SleepyHead. This is a bug in SleepyHead. Nothing more.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My ResMed AirSence 10 records event time for everything except RERA. See my raw data attached to earlier post. Event time is posted for 62 hypopnea's

(08-01-2016, 06:24 PM)PaytonA Wrote: My SleepyHead v0.9.8-1 (testing) with my Resmed S9 VPAP Auto records hypopnea duration times in the events table. My ResScan (older version) does not record any hypopnea time durations from my Resmed S9 VPAP Auto

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-01-2016, 07:21 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(08-01-2016, 11:02 AM)rkl122 Wrote: Yet the "definition" takes no account of duration beyond the 10 second minimum. Bear in mind that these machines are (in the US) FDA approved. Therefore, I gotta believe that their algorithms are incorporated in that approval.

I think, but don't for sure. that the data recorded on the SD card is simply interpreted by SleepyHead. This is a bug in SleepyHead. Nothing more.

How is it a bug in SleepyHead when SleepyHead is recording the hypopnea durations????

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold! BigWing 12 234 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  Does EPAP or IPAP control hypopneas? MrIvanDrago 3 247 02-29-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Help Please - Hypopneas remain with BIPAP Newby 0 170 02-25-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Newby
  Long story short chronic 5 381 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 560 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 216 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 615 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.