Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why are hypopneas 10 seconds long?
Why are hypopneas 10 seconds long?
Why is every hypopnea exactly 10 seconds long every time. I understand not being less than 10 seconds, but why never more than 10 seconds? Inquiring minds must know.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why are hypopneas 10 seconds long?
(07-31-2016, 04:31 PM)Rcgop Wrote: Why is every hypopnea exactly 10 seconds long every time. I understand not being less than 10 seconds, but why never more than 10 seconds? Inquiring minds must know.

I was wondering about the same thing when I first looked at my SleepyHead data.

I speculated that it was a programming-classification issue -- that anything over 10 seconds that could be classified as a central or obstructive apnea was so classified. That classification shortfalls would be scored as RERAs. As a result of the classification process, we see a preponderance of 10-sec hypops.

If anyone has a definitive answer or alternate hypothesis, I would be interested in hearing it.

You may wish to read the technical discussion on scoring at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3459210/

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Please post a night where you have multiple hypopneas that are 10 seconds and let the Brain Bank here the forum do some analysis for you. I assure there will be some good insight if the folks in the forum have some data for analysis

(07-31-2016, 04:31 PM)Rcgop Wrote: Why is every hypopnea exactly 10 seconds long every time. I understand not being less than 10 seconds, but why never more than 10 seconds? Inquiring minds must know.

2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
No need to post. Every hypopnea ever registered since the beginning is exactly 10seconds. No more, no less.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
10 seconds may be an artifact of Sleepyhead. ResScan 5.3 does not assign a duration to a hypopnea.

I believe what I'm saying is what srlevine1 said:
Quote:I speculated that it was a programming-classification issue -- that anything over 10 seconds that could be classified as a central or obstructive apnea was so classified. That classification shortfalls would be scored as RERAs. As a result of the classification process, we see a preponderance of 10-sec hypops.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
It might be a defect in the SH data import for your machine. Or it could be the Airsense, but I'd be surprised if Resmed did not record the duration. I see a variety of times on my Hypopnean with a Phillips Dreamstation.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Canadian version is in metric seconds. Laugh-a-lot
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
My Airsense 10 only ever records 10sec. My PRS1 records all times from 10sec to 40+ sec. So I guess it's a manufacturer thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just looked at my data in SH and it does indeed report a duration of 10 seconds, even for hypopneas that last much longer. This looks to me like a mistake in the way SH is interpreting the data from the ResMed A10 machines. When I look at the data recorded by my ResMed S9 I see hypopneas reported with a duration greater than 10 seconds.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
On my PR System One, I see hypopneas with a duration greater than 10 seconds.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Symptoms] long desaturations Mshull 4 132 4 hours ago
Last Post: Dormeo
  Long Time PAPer Trying to Dial It In again! dlbzone 5 255 04-11-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: dlbzone
  [Diagnosis] Help with Hypopneas! strugglingzombie 0 122 04-03-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: strugglingzombie
  Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold! BigWing 12 337 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  Does EPAP or IPAP control hypopneas? MrIvanDrago 3 307 02-29-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Help Please - Hypopneas remain with BIPAP Newby 0 201 02-25-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Newby
  Long story short chronic 5 416 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.