Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why are hypopneas 10 seconds long?
RE: Why are hypopneas 10 seconds long?
(07-31-2016, 08:47 PM)justMongo Wrote: The Canadian version is in metric seconds. Laugh-a-lot

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2016, 04:31 PM)Rcgop Wrote: Why is every hypopnea exactly 10 seconds long every time. I understand not being less than 10 seconds, but why never more than 10 seconds? Inquiring minds must know.

I just looked at some raw data from an Airsense 10, and all of the hypopneas show "0" for the event duration in the data I examined.

Evidently, the AS10 does not record the duration of hypopneas.

The 10 second duration from SH is just a programmers choice.

Tom
Admin Note:
Jack_Russell_Fan passed away in June 2020
For his SleepMaster software, click here.

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I was wondering too why all my hypopneas were for 10 seconds.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just for discussion sake - is a hypopnea that lasts 5 sec the same as one that lasts 50 sec? And, does it really depend on the degree of closure so two hypopnea's of the same duration could be markedly different in impact due to the fact one individuals hypopnea has greater airflow restriction?
Post Reply Post Reply
A hypopnea is a flow reduction, from the baseline, of X% lasting at least Y seconds.
X may be 30% and Y may be 10 seconds (from reading the article posted by srlevine; and by my recollection as to what the machine scores.)

Let's take the 30% and 10 seconds.... then there is no such thing as a 5 second hypopnea by definition.

Why are there no 50 second hypopneas? I postulate that after 10 seconds the "new" flow rate becomes the new baseline.

So, the hypopnea referee throws a flag at 10 seconds of 30% flow reduction.
Then it's programmer's choice. Call it a 10 second hypopnea; or just put the flag at 10 seconds and not call the duration.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, events that each get counted the same may be very different in severity. Plus, there seems to be variation from person to person as far as what makes that person feel like they've had a bad night's sleep. For some people, a few RERA events make them feel horrible when they wake up.

(08-01-2016, 02:27 AM)Dafod Wrote: Just for discussion sake - is a hypopnea that lasts 5 sec the same as one that lasts 50 sec? And, does it really depend on the degree of closure so two hypopnea's of the same duration could be markedly different in impact due to the fact one individuals hypopnea has greater airflow restriction?

Post Reply Post Reply
On my S9 the Hypos are reporting different lengths of time. This holds true in both SH versions 0.9.8.1-Testing and 1.0-Beta. I noticed that everyone reporting the 10 second problem are running AS-10's. H-m-m-m-m-m!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2016, 08:47 PM)justMongo Wrote: The Canadian version is in metric seconds. Laugh-a-lot

I like archaic seconds and I'm gonna use 'em
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, just looked at mine. The end of the hypopnea is when breathing starts again and the beginning (when highlighted) is 10 seconds earlier. However, the reduced breathing sometimes starts earlier and does not get included graphically (highlighted).

This must be unique to the S10.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
It's Sleepyhead!

My S9 with ResScan reports no time duration.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold! BigWing 12 234 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  Does EPAP or IPAP control hypopneas? MrIvanDrago 3 247 02-29-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Help Please - Hypopneas remain with BIPAP Newby 0 170 02-25-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Newby
  Long story short chronic 5 384 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 560 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 216 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 615 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.