Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why are many OAs not in sync, roughly, with explanatory snores or flow limitations?
Why are many OAs not in sync, roughly, with explanatory snores or flow limitations?
My snores are few and often do not result in an OA. Frequently I see OAs that can't be matched, even roughly, to times of flow limitations; that happens with snores too. My SH graph ordinate scales for both Snore and Flow Limit are large enough. Is this simply a sampling artifact?
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why are many OAs not in sync, roughly, with explanatory snores or flow limitations?
I'm super curious about this!

Could you share a screenshot of the data?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why are many OAs not in sync, roughly, with explanatory snores or flow limitations?
+1

Snores and flow limitations are not a necessary condition for OAs. They are precursors to OAs. They are what Resmed and PR use to signal the need for a pressure increase in order to head off OAs. The logic is when significant snores or flow limitations occur and no changes are made, sooner or later OAs will start to occur. OAs can and do occur without precursors sometmes.

If you see a rapid increase in your pressure, check your flow limitations and you will probably see some significant flow limitations just before and/or during the rapid pressure increase. If the machine has gotten enough pressure increase in time, you will have no OA because the machine headed it off.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2017, 03:18 AM)Hydrangea Wrote: I'm super curious about this!  

Could you share a screenshot of the data?

I'm not adept with imgur. Here is an attempt at showing the most recent among many clear incidents, sometimes there are multiple incidents.

Note that I cut out  a block of the graphs' time lines before the OA; that to get the OA near center screen rather than at extreme right.

I believe PaytonA's post (thank you PaytonA) below explains OAs do arise without indication of a causal FL or Snore. I'd like to understand why.

[Image: Z78eIEtl.jpg]
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
The event posted above looks like an arousal and change of sleep position (holding your breath), it is not characteristic of a true obstructive apnea. First, you can see the arousal preceding the event. The breath immediate ahead of the OA does not have an exhale (lungs full). The event is about 18 seconds, and breathing resumes gradually and increase in amplitude in response to the minor desaturation visible on the SpO2 line. There was no FL or snore, and the event is not characteristic of OA, but appears to be an arousal. In fact, not a single breath in the posted wave form has the appearance of a flow limit.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you SleepRider; a great lesson in interpretation of the graphs.

I've improved my treatment and reduced those annoying leaks, having learned from so many on the Board after registration.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 7 223 52 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 0 19 1 hour ago
Last Post: ahuman
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 303 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 110 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,605 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 141 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.