Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why are my med and 95 percents higher with narrower range?
Why are my med and 95 percents higher with narrower range?
Hi Y'all,
This may be obvious to others but I haven't puzzled this out yet.
Looking over the last 45 or so days, I note that my median and 95 percent pressures are slightly higher as time has gone on. That may be a coincidence or that may be due to the narrow range perhaps?

They were somewhat lower avg in the 5-20 pressure range, than at the 7-14 range. Anyone know why this might be?

Also had good trend going with 3 or 4 days of AHI under 5.0 and then since new pillows on mask (prob coincidence) higher again. Still feel pretty good. Still less night loo trips (though far from gone) Just in case it was the new pillows, I swapped them back to the old one's two hours into night to see if it made a diff, noting that at the swap time I was having 9.9 events per hour.

I do have to say I like the nose pillows a bit broken in. Am I alone in this?

Sunshiney day here in S.F
Hope you all are having good days and better nights.
Susan
The Manse Hen
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why are my med and 95 percents higher with narrower range?
Median pressure going up can be explained by general mathematical rules of statistics. Median is the value that is in the center of the sampled data. If you are going to move up the lower bound of the sample, the center will likely shift up.

95% pressure going up can not be explained by math alone. Since you are changing masks during this process, that may effect it.

In my experience of titrating from 4-20 to 7.5-15, I have seen my 95% pressure to be in similar range for the same mask. It did drop appreciably once I went to Nasal Pillows (P10) from a FFM (F10), from 10-11 to less than 9.0.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
The higher average pressures are most probably due to the increase in your minimum pressure. The machine is able to reach an effective pressure more quickly when you give it a head start. It will also be constrained from dropping as far as it may have been with the lower min pressure. So, yes, the average pressures may be somewhat higher than when the min. pressure was lower. It "should" also help your AHI.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
And PeytonA gets the right answer! The median value is actually the most frequently occurring pressure, not the middle value (mean).

When you increased the minimum pressure, you intercepted some apnea, but also, with the machine starting at a higher pressure, the snores and flow limitations that are the basis for increasing auto pressure, caused a higher median and 95% pressure to be scored.

Your other questions might be better answered if you posted some data. Sounds like treated AHI is still relatively high.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2015, 05:12 PM)TheManseHen Wrote: Hi Y'all,
This may be obvious to others but I haven't puzzled this out yet.
Looking over the last 45 or so days, I note that my median and 95 percent pressures are slightly higher as time has gone on. That may be a coincidence or that may be due to the narrow range perhaps?

They were somewhat lower avg in the 5-20 pressure range, than at the 7-14 range. Anyone know why this might be?

Also had good trend going with 3 or 4 days of AHI under 5.0 and then since new pillows on mask (prob coincidence) higher again. Still feel pretty good. Still less night loo trips (though far from gone) Just in case it was the new pillows, I swapped them back to the old one's two hours into night to see if it made a diff, noting that at the swap time I was having 9.9 events per hour.

I do have to say I like the nose pillows a bit broken in. Am I alone in this?

Sunshiney day here in S.F
Hope you all are having good days and better nights.
Susan
The Manse Hen

Hi Susan from Sunshiny S.F. .....wish you could send me some sun here in snowy Ohio! I have to take vitamin D instead!
When I started to change my pressure numbers from 4 to 20 to my current 8 to 14,
I also noticed the 90% range went up too. It means the machine is reaching the pressure that it needs to clear an apnea faster., and stays at that number because it needs to. When you have your pressure set at the correct range for you, it allows the machine to do its job more efficiently by not taking forever to reach the pressure needed, which in turn you AHI numbers should drop. Just give it some time.
Now with the pillows...I find I have to change them often...like every 20 days! They get too soft, cause my nose to itch, and I notice more leaks. Also, if I try to use a worn out one, my AHI goes up. I know that everyone is different.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2015, 06:07 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The median value is actually the most frequently occurring pressure, not the middle value (mean).

No, I'm sorry, you are wrong. The "mode" is the most frequently occurring value, the "median" is the middle value, and the "mean" is the common "average" obtained by adding up all the data points and dividing that sum by the number of data points.

I looked it up on google just to be sure.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Brain fart! That's what I'm stickin' with. Smile
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
so the median is likely to go up because the mode is forced to a higher value. this likely means OSA related events and occurrences are reduced. this may also result in higher CAs and so net increase in AHI may occur possibly creating a new maximum.
Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2015, 09:58 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: so the median is likely to go up because the mode is forced to a higher value.

Well no. If you increase the top pressure while the bottom remains the same the median (middle value) will go up regardless of what happens to the mode. The mode could be very low so long as it is the most frequent value.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2015, 10:40 PM)eseedhouse Wrote:
(02-11-2015, 09:58 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: so the median is likely to go up because the mode is forced to a higher value.

Well no. If you increase the top pressure while the bottom remains the same the median (middle value) will go up regardless of what happens to the mode. The mode could be very low so long as it is the most frequent value.

Except we are talking about the max pressure setting going down and the min pressure setting going up. The reduction of the max pressure setting has no effect on the statistics at its current level. The min. pressure setting, however, does have an effect.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 103 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question Tidal Volume Acceptable Range trance 12 3,422 03-02-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 22 3,429 02-28-2024, 02:39 PM
Last Post: godiego
  My inspiratory time is higher than expiratory on Auto S Bipap Stubert 3 380 02-01-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] A new ResMed AirSense 10 fails to do Smart Stop when at higher altitude. mountaincat 6 538 01-28-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: mountaincat
Sad Higher AHI after Covid Recovery - Oscar Data amfar33 3 352 01-12-2024, 12:17 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  What should my pressure range be? tomkelly 4 421 01-09-2024, 08:44 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.