Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why are the AirMini masks so much noisier than home machine?
RE: Why are the AirMini masks so much noisier than home machine?
Does the AirMini have a hose size/type selection option?

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2023, 07:38 PM)densoo Wrote: Great thought. I was REALLY hoping this was the trick, so after I read this, I got the connector that allows a full-size hose all the way from Airmini to the mask, with no Airmini connector at all. No luck and no change to increased noise. I'm willing to try other ideas, but it seems like it's the machine not relaxing its pressure push in the same way as the Resmed 11 does.
I toggled through all the settings in the clinician setup and didn't see that one, but I'd entertain any suggestion!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm out of ideas.

Sorry!  Confused

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2023, 08:22 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: I'm out of ideas.

Sorry!  Confused

- Red
Thanks though!
Post Reply Post Reply
I turned down the maximum pressure on my AirMini to 5, which reduced the noise, though not entirely gone. Numbers weren't quite as good, but imperfect sleep is better than no sleep at all! Used it through 2 weeks of car camping, and glad to return to the Airsense 11 at home.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used ResMed machines for 15 years now and they keep getting better (and quieter). That's why I was initially disappointed when I discovered my brand new Mini Air made so much noise. I have been spoiled by the much quieter full-feature models, my current one is an Air Sense S10, and I am awaiting an upgrade to the 11. Many forum threads talked about the noise originating at the mask, but I found that to be untrue. Unlike other users, I never bought into the Mini Air tube and mask system, since I had spent so many years discovering that the Air Touch F20 full mask system was ideal for me. So I used a tubing connection adapter to rig my Air Touch mask via standard 22 mm tubing to the Mini Air. However, I found that this was noisy, and yet the same mask is quite noise-free on my usual S10 setup. So, I concluded that the noise does not originate in the mask. The noise is actually the turbulence from the CPAP unit itself, and other knowledgeable users have commented that in order to make the Mini Air device compact, a lot of the noise-eliminating construction features could not be put into the Mini Air. The sound gets transmitted down the tubing, the way "speaking tubes", used on ships in the 19th century, allowed vocal transmission without wires. So it sounds as if the noise is coming from the mask, when it really is not. I also discovered that Slim Line tubing increased the flow resistance, and slightly increased the amount of required pressure and also the amount of noise. So I recommend standard 22 mm tubing.

To remedy the noise problem, I first tried changing my tubing adaptor from the cheaper no-name variety to the ZephAir, which is clearly of more robust design. However, there was no difference in the noise. The next change involved using a Q-lite muffler, and voila, the swishing noise is greatly reduced. Oddly, my "Sound Meter" app on my phone records an insignificant amount of dB reduction, but yet the higher-frequency swishing noise that is reminiscent of Darth Vader, is gone. Still not as quiet as my S10. So I may not need ear plugs after all, but they do remain as a cost-effective option. I "soundly" endorse the Q-lite muffler. If you're wondering about sterilization (they tell you not to try to wash it out with water), I'm using a cheap UV wand that is thin enough to pass into the bore of the muffler.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 77 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,255 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 65 5,908 03-19-2024, 07:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 148 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 343 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  REM and Sleep Stage Tracking at Home rwelliot 15 5,318 02-26-2024, 03:49 AM
Last Post: DebJ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.