Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why are the AirMini masks so much noisier than home machine?
Why are the AirMini masks so much noisier than home machine?
This is becoming an existential question at this point.

I plug the same masks (with an adapter) to the AirMini and my ResMed s9. The very same mask on the S9 makes almost zero noise, while plugged to the mini there's a ton of noise when inhaling and exhaling. The airmini itself is very quiet. This post is not about how to minimize the noise, but rather why in the world is this happening. 

It's the very same mask, it's just air flowing through... but mini manages to make noise while S9 doesn't. Why!?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why are the AirMini masks so much noisier than home machine?
Smaller motor, higher RPM required to move the same volume of air. And no sound dampening foam.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2022, 10:25 AM)sfr79 Wrote: Smaller motor, higher RPM required to move the same volume of air. And no sound dampening foam.

This still wouldn't explain why the masks themselves are way noisier. Isn't the volume of air moved through the tubes the same whatever the machine for a specific pressure?  The noise of my airmini itself, the machine, is not an issue. It's fairly quiet! It does make a bit more noise than my S9 but at a distance can't be heard. 

It's been the swooosh swoooosh of the masks that has been a challenge to adapt, even with ear plugs. I eventually got the official P10 for Airmini and even this one is way noisier than the P10 for regular machines. All the noise comes from the casing where the humudity filter is at.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-20-2022, 07:12 AM)cpaplvr Wrote: This still wouldn't explain why the masks themselves are way noisier.

I think it does explain it. You said yourself in your previous post that the same mask in your S9 is quiet, but when plugged in to your AirMini it is loud. How is this attributable to anything other than the AirMini, given that you know the exact mask is quiet when plugged into the Airsense? 

I have experienced the same thing with my P10 mask when plugged into my Airsense 10 vs the AirMini — loud in the AirMini out the exhalation ports vs quiet when used with the Airsense 10.

The mask is in very close proximity to a high rpm motor when connected to the AirMini, with no sound damping foam, and no humidifier chamber, anywhere in the air path.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Airmini masks have shorter, smaller diameter tubes. This is going to create more turbulence in the air pathway as well as communicate more machine noise to the user.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider, the strange thing is that the AirMini version of the P10 mask + hose, is a good bit quieter than the standard P10 with a normal hose and adapter.

Loud & harsh sound:
AirMini with standard hose + adapter & standard P10 mask

Medium but less harsh, more “airy” sound:
AirMini with proprietary AirMini hose & AirMini version of the P10

Quiet & airy / hollow sound:
AirSense 10 + standard hose & standard P10 mask.

Regardless of mask, the AirMini is louder than the AirSense. Personally, what affects my sleep more is the harshness of the sound. If it’s a more airy / hollow white noise (like the AirMini with the proprietary hose and mask) I tolerate the increased volume fine. With the Zephair adapter and standard hose and mask it was a no-go for me. If that was my only option I would have returned the airmini. Using the proprietary accessories made a big difference to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I find its all about the way the hose is lying with the AirMini/P10. if there is any kink in the hose at all the turbulence noise gets loud. If I keep the hose as straight as possible with only very gentle bends it's as quiet as anything else. Not sure if it matters but I use the HumidX™ Plus with it too.

(I use the AirMini version of the P10, so that is probably a big factor too)
Post Reply Post Reply
I used an adapter to be able to use the F30i. The machine is quiet. The noise is coming from the mask. The hose is not kinked. I asked my wife to isolate where the noise was coming from because it's hard to tell when wearing it, and it is very much from the mask. Move the same mask to the Resmed 11, no noise. I think there must be a pressure relief difference between the two machines. Maybe the Resmed 11 software adjusts the pressure during inhalation/exhalation so the air isn't overflowing out/in the vent, while the Airmini does not, causing air to be pushed in/out of the vent during inhalation/exhalation. As the OP said, same air pressure, one is noisy, the other one not. I toggled all the settings but no change.
Post Reply Post Reply
The hose is a smaller diameter on the AirMini. This requires an increase in velocity to allow for the same volume of air to be supplied. As the velocity increases, so does the turbulence inside the hose and mask. This will significantly increase noise.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2023, 05:13 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: The hose is a smaller diameter on the AirMini.  This requires an increase in velocity to allow for the same volume of air to be supplied.  As the velocity increases, so does the turbulence inside the hose and mask.  This will significantly increase noise.

- Red
Great thought. I was REALLY hoping this was the trick, so after I read this, I got the connector that allows a full-size hose all the way from Airmini to the mask, with no Airmini connector at all. No luck and no change to increased noise. I'm willing to try other ideas, but it seems like it's the machine not relaxing its pressure push in the same way as the Resmed 11 does.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 119 2 hours ago
Last Post: OpalRose
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,285 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 65 5,930 03-19-2024, 07:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 154 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 345 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  REM and Sleep Stage Tracking at Home rwelliot 15 5,330 02-26-2024, 03:49 AM
Last Post: DebJ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.