Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why aren't the slopes smooth?
Why aren't the slopes smooth?
Does the slope for my inhale look normal? It looks like there's a hesitation on the inhale as if the machine is pausing, thinking I should be done inhaling, but then realizes I'm still inhaling and continues on. 

If anyone could explain what that is and if it's normal or can be adjusted, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.pdf   sleep report.pdf (Size: 554.73 KB / Downloads: 5)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why aren't the slopes smooth?
That looks like a regular pause between breaths (exhale finished, inhale not yet started). Nothing to be concerned about. If you add the "Zero" dotted line (right click on the "Flow Rate" heading) it will be clearer.
Post Reply Post Reply
I zoomed in a little more and pointed to the plateau. That's not exhaling, is it? Is that a short exhale and then an inhale?

Post Reply Post Reply
This might show it better. I see a longer plateau here.

Post Reply Post Reply
This one is a smooth slope. I see more of these some nights than others. Some nights, it seems like its all just the previous version.

Post Reply Post Reply
All of these plateaus show that as exhale completes, you have a short period of zero flow before inspiration begins. This is normal, and can be very pronounced in some people. If that zero-flow continues for 10 seconds, it is an apnea, and you will usually see the machines pressure pulses (FOT) superimposed on the respiration flow rate. Your results are very good, but if you want to have the machine trigger IPAP with less inspiratory flow to trigger it, then switching the Trigger Sensitivity to "high" can sometimes reduce this period of null flow. If you do this, your job is not to study the flow curve, but to decide if it feels better and more natural for you. If yes, keep the change; if no, return to previous setting.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Between your inhalation and exhalation, there is a slight pause where you are neither breathing in nor breathing out. However, your heart is still beating and for some people this causes the little flow bumps you see. There are called cardio ballistic effects. See https://www.thoracic.org/professionals/c...hannel.php (click on Answer) for one discussion of this behavior.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2022, 01:54 AM)kappa Wrote: That looks like a regular pause between breaths (exhale finished, inhale not yet started). Nothing to be concerned about. If you add the "Zero" dotted line (right click on the "Flow Rate" heading) it will be clearer.

Thanks for the tip.

(07-08-2022, 07:39 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: All of these plateaus show that as exhale completes, you have a short period of zero flow before inspiration begins.  This is normal, and can be very pronounced in some people.  If that zero-flow continues for 10 seconds, it is an apnea, and you will usually see the machines pressure pulses (FOT) superimposed on the respiration flow rate.  Your results are very good, but if you want to have the machine trigger IPAP with less inspiratory flow to trigger it, then switching the Trigger Sensitivity to "high" can sometimes reduce this period of null flow.  If you do this, your job is not to study the flow curve, but to decide if it feels better and more natural for you.  If yes, keep the change; if no, return to previous setting.

I will definitely give the sensitivity trigger an attempt and feel it out.

(07-08-2022, 07:11 PM)GuyScharf Wrote: Between your inhalation and exhalation, there is a slight pause where you are neither breathing in nor breathing out. However, your heart is still beating and for some people this causes the little flow bumps you see. There are called cardio ballistic effects. See https://www.thoracic.org/professionals/c...hannel.php (click on Answer) for one discussion of this behavior.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the added information.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Mask issues that aren't covered in the standard Q&A MullingInk 1 398 04-01-2023, 04:26 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  [Treatment] Five months in, things still aren't much better manacles 11 1,209 12-01-2022, 12:14 PM
Last Post: manacles
  Flow Rate - Smooth when awake vs Choppy when asleep? Bricks 3 785 09-05-2022, 02:00 PM
Last Post: Bricks
  switched from Dreamstation to aircurve 10 VAUTO...settings aren't working dpolitzer 10 1,161 12-14-2021, 04:32 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  My clear airway / central apneas aren't going away Gyddyup 13 3,781 02-04-2016, 07:30 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question Why aren't more data-capable Auto-CPAP machines prescribed? SuperSleeper 35 17,364 03-27-2012, 05:57 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.