Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why auto-on is a good setting to enable
Why auto-on is a good setting to enable
I've been through a power failure while sleeping on CPAP. I'm not sure how exactly long it took, but shortly after the power failure I woke up in the night and realized my machine wasn't working.

What happened night-before-last was a little different. Apparently, the power went off momentarily, then came back on again. However, this was enough to reset my CPAP machine. Fortunately, I had auto-on enabled (turn on when the machine detects breathing), so the machine turned back on automatically shortly after the power came back. I never even woke up, and I only found out about the power failure when I downloaded the data and saw an unexplained gap of about 45 seconds.

So, do consider enabling the auto-on setting on your CPAP device.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why auto-on is a good setting to enable
Good advice. Not sure how well it works for us with nasal pillows (if at all)?
Post Reply Post Reply
I wake up the second the power goes out. I'm awake so might as well sit up and wait for it to come back on.

With my S7, I could sleep through anything less than ten minutes. But with the S9, both the Escape and the Autoset, as soon as the power goes out, I get no air at all. I wake up gasping.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Wow. That's quite a difference from the Respironics machine I have. When I woke up in the power failure, it literally took me several seconds of thought to decide whether the machine was working or not. I had no trouble breathing - it felt just like if the air flow was on.

Perhaps I should rename the thread to "Why auto-on is a good setting to enable for Respironics machines".

With regards to nasal pillows, when I was trying a set out (the OptiLife), I was able to trigger the auto-on feature. However, from other threads, other people with different machines and/or masks were not able. You'll just have to try for yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it doesn't work with full face masks.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2013, 05:53 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Yes, it doesn't work with full face masks.

I wonder if, because the volume of air in the mask is so much larger with full face masks, the pressure change with a normal-volume inhale/exhale isn't enough to trigger the machine. I've never tried a full face mask, so I have no direct experience.

I can also see it working poorly with certain nasal pillows, since they often require the airflow to inflate bladders to make the seal. When the machine is turned off, there is no seal and your inhale/exhale would be primarily leakage around the mask and therefore not detectable by the machine.

Ok, so now we're at "Why auto-on is a good setting to enable for Respironics machines with a nasal mask" for the title.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think its great on my Respironics.

The machine is behind my head and a bit hard to reach so I use auto on with my Pilairo mask. I put the mask on before I make my self comfortable then breath through my mouth until I'm ready.. When I want the machine to start I close my mouth and breathe through my nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
My PR system one beeps when the power goes out and it wakes me up...
and auto on? mine is on but with the ComfortGel Blue..I have to cover the ventilation holes and breath in and out as hard as I can a few times to get it to function...needless to say I just push the button to turn on now.
I don't believe anything I hear and only half of what I see
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2013, 06:09 PM)RonWessels Wrote:
(07-15-2013, 05:53 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Yes, it doesn't work with full face masks.

I wonder if, because the volume of air in the mask is so much larger with full face masks, the pressure change with a normal-volume inhale/exhale isn't enough to trigger the machine. I've never tried a full face mask, so I have no direct experience.

Auto on may fail with full face masks because the anti-asphyxia valve opens when the machine is off and you're breathing through the valve, not through the hose. The machine doesn't "see" your breathing. Some air still goes up through the hose, so you might or might not trigger the auto start.

You may be able to make it start by covering the anti-asphyxia vent with your hand or rapidly inhaling and exhaling.

I would think auto start would work on a nasal pillow mask. It's always worked with mine. Has anyone here had autostart fail with a nasal pillow mask?

I understand why auto-off might fail to work due to the smaller airflow with a nasal pillow mask.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed say SamrtStart (S9) works using, full face, nasal and nasal pillows
It might not work using nasal pillows with set pressure less than 7 cm H2O
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 72 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 155 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 204 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 148 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 178 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,187 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 856 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.