Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why auto-on is a good setting to enable
RE: Why auto-on is a good setting to enable
I don't use auto-on because if the hose blows off (it happens) I want the machine to keep blowing lots of air so it can kick up a fuss. That way I'll wake up and fix the problem instead of falling back to sleep.

If the power fails it wont make a difference anyway due to reasons shown by archangle.
In the case of a power outage the mask slamming into my face and sucking all the air out of me will alert me to that
situation so I can connect the gell cell battery and keep going.

Cheers! Smile

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2013, 07:35 AM)Shastzi Wrote: I don't use auto-on because if the hose blows off (it happens) I want the machine to keep blowing lots of air so it can kick up a fuss. That way I'll wake up and fix the problem instead of falling back to sleep.

Isn't that a good reason not to use auto-off?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2013, 10:25 AM)RonWessels Wrote: Isn't that a good reason not to use auto-off?

Don't use it personally, but I think on the S9 machines Auto-on and Auto-off are not broken out separately. Believe it's just a "Auto-on/off" master setting that does both.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't use the AutoStart function in my ResMed S9 AutoSet. For some reason, when I used that feature, it would turn itself off in the middle of the night maybe 2-3 times each night. Not sure why, but it bothered me so I turned it off.

Dont-know
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use the auto on/off function because its enough for me to get the tubing off the mask when I am half asleep to get up to go to the bathroom. One less thing to think about.Shy
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2013, 03:48 PM)Paptillian Wrote:
(07-17-2013, 10:25 AM)RonWessels Wrote: Isn't that a good reason not to use auto-off?

Don't use it personally, but I think on the S9 machines Auto-on and Auto-off are not broken out separately. Believe it's just a "Auto-on/off" master setting that does both.

Really? In that case, my apologies to Shastzi. On PRS1 machines, auto-on and auto-off are separate settings, and I simply assumed the same was true for ResMed machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2013, 02:38 AM)zonk Wrote: ResMed say SamrtStart (S9) works using, full face, nasal and nasal pillows
It might not work using nasal pillows with set pressure less than 7 cm H2O

On my main machine (a 2012 made in Singapore, Software version SX474-0905) SmartStart can be enabled and works completely fine with my FFM, even though I stopped using it just because I don't really find it necessary - I don't mind turning it off and I started using mask fit to turn it on. On my spare (a 2010 made in Australia, don't know the software version and don't have it with me to check) SmartStart becomes disabled when FFM selected. When setting it up I happened to notice, at some point after selecting FFM for mask type, that "SmartStart" was a lighter shade than everything else on the menu and couldn't be selected. So I monkeyed around with settings to figure out what was wrong and found that if I changed to other mask types "SmartStart" got darker and could be selected. I'm guessing that being able to use SmartStart is one of the upgrades in software on newer machines (newer than 2010 at least).
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:On PRS1 machines, auto-on and auto-off are separate settings, and I simply assumed the same was true for ResMed machines.

PRS1 machines have an Auto-on setting only....No Auto-off
I don't believe anything I hear and only half of what I see
Post Reply Post Reply
From PRS1 manual
• Auto on - You can enable or disable this feature if you want the device to automatically turn the airflow on whenever the patient applies the interface (mask) to their airway.
• Auto off - You can enable or disable this feature if you want the device to automatically turn the airflow off whenever the patient removes the interface (mask) from their airway.
Post Reply Post Reply
What zonk said. Perhaps it is only true of the latest 60 Series machines, but I know for a fact that my machine has the auto-on setting enabled and the (separate) auto-off setting disabled.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 72 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 151 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 204 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 148 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 178 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,184 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 856 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.