Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why auto-on is a good setting to enable
RE: Why auto-on is a good setting to enable
(07-18-2013, 11:21 PM)RonWessels Wrote: Perhaps it is only true of the latest 60 Series machines,
50 series too http://respironicsremstars.respironics.com/
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2013, 09:18 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote: On my spare (a 2010 made in Australia, don't know the software version and don't have it with me to check) SmartStart becomes disabled when FFM selected.
On mine too, same year - software version 0602

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2013, 06:09 PM)RonWessels Wrote:
(07-15-2013, 05:53 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Yes, it doesn't work with full face masks.

I wonder if, because the volume of air in the mask is so much larger with full face masks, the pressure change with a normal-volume inhale/exhale isn't enough to trigger the machine. I've never tried a full face mask, so I have no direct experience.

I can also see it working poorly with certain nasal pillows, since they often require the airflow to inflate bladders to make the seal. When the machine is turned off, there is no seal and your inhale/exhale would be primarily leakage around the mask and therefore not detectable by the machine.

Ok, so now we're at "Why auto-on is a good setting to enable for Respironics machines with a nasal mask" for the title.
I have an S9 AutoSet and a medium facemask (I don/doff it with one cheek strap). It'll kick on before the mask is even close to sealed and before I can even click the one fastener in place!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-20-2013, 01:54 PM)gspell68 Wrote: I have an S9 AutoSet
Hi gspell68, welcome to the forum
Do you have two machines as showing in profile ... ResMed S9 AutoSet & Escape
These are two different machines, AutoSet data capable machines and Escape models (Escape and Escape Auto) are not

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2013, 04:14 PM)Paptillian Wrote: Good advice. Not sure how well it works for us with nasal pillows (if at all)?

IT should work as well. Once the machine detect air flow it will come on. I've thrown mines down on the bed and regenerated enough air to turn it on.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2013, 10:03 PM)spdklls99 Wrote:
Quote:On PRS1 machines, auto-on and auto-off are separate settings, and I simply assumed the same was true for ResMed machines.

PRS1 machines have an Auto-on setting only....No Auto-off

It has separate auto on and auto off settings. However, the auto off takes a LONG time before it shuts off. Much longer than the S9 machines.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Started with a nasal mask and auto-on worked fine.
Then switched to full face and, as Paula02 noted, it did not work.
I'm now using nasal pillows and really like the auto start. It works great.
Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2013, 08:21 PM)mikeh99 Wrote: Started with a nasal mask and auto-on worked fine.
Then switched to full face and, as Paula02 noted, it did not work.
I'm now using nasal pillows and really like the auto start. It works great.

... And u don't have problems with leaks...I wonder also is the resmed u hace different frm the S9.
Post Reply Post Reply
With my old S8 Elite machine, I would wake up instantly upon a power failure, but have not experienced a power failure with my current S9 Autoset in the six months I have used it. I think I remember the S8 restarting if the power failure was just a blip, but that really does not make logical sense, since I am sure that auto start was not enabled, if even available.

I should have my wife unplug the S9 machine sometime to see what happens.

There was an incident a few months ago with the new machine that scared the hell out of me and now makes me think more about autostart. This is the only time it has ever happened.

I filled the tank, plugged in the cord, washed my face and the mask seal, put the mask on my face, adjusted it, turned off the light, lay down in the bed, got comfortable and FORGOT TO TURN ON THE MACHINE.

I woke up two hours later severely disoriented but somewhat aware that I was not getting enough air and it seemed like forever to get the mask off.

So, now I always either pull the hose off to check airflow or feel for the excess air coming out of exhaust port on the mask and am reassured when I hear the little whine at the end of a breath exhale.
Jim Quarles
hosehead
Illegitimus non Carborundum
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a ResMed S9 Autoset with a Mirage Quatro full face mask and the auto-on and auto-off works every time. It’s great in the middle of the night when my fire/rescue radio goes off. It’s off with the mask on with the jump suit and out the door.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 72 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 154 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 204 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 148 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 178 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,185 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 856 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.