Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why can't I sleep?
Why can't I sleep?
I wake up several times a night and I feel I am in a battle with my therapy.
Oh-jeez
I think my CA's are a result of me breathing harder than I need to and hence hyperventilating. I get in this yo-yo effect until I can get completely awake, get up, walk around, and reset myself. After that I can relax and start over. I think I can show what I mean in this graph.

[attachment=2554]

CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why can't I sleep?
My first guess is that it is the dramatic pressure increase that is waking you up. It is doubling the pressure in three minutes. And it is harder to exhale against that pressure. When you turn the machine off and on it goes back to 5 again. A higher starting point might help. Have you tried an EPR higher than 1?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Chill,
I have tried an EPR of 2 for a short time but it didn't prove to change much. I may not have given it enough time. The change in pressure is my thought too. I am a bit cautious about changing the prescription pressure as I do not want to upset my Dr. On the other hand the best we could is the home study so he had no choice but prescribe an auto set CPAP and a wide open pressure range. (4 to 16) I was starved at 4 so I upped it to 5 but I think I need to up it some more. I seem to be comfortable at 7 or 8. The pressure never gets above 10 so I do not see limiting the high pressure at this time.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
For me, I'd bump it up to 7 or 8, just to get enough air. You probably want to do that gradually over a few days or a week, depending on how you get used to the higher starting pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Chill,
Just took a 1 hour nap with starting pressure of 6 and EPR 2. Very comfortable. Not sure how much "effective sleep" I got but I rested very comfortable. Pressure did rise to 7+ at some time with 0 events of any kind and leaks very low. I will try this setting tonight to see what over night will do.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 160 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 204 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,359 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 807 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,011 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 681 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Home sleep test vs. sleep study at clinic rikkitikkitavi 14 3,199 02-18-2022, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.