Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why change my Swift FX pillows?
Why change my Swift FX pillows?
The consensus is that one should replace the pillows in a Swift FX two times a month, although there seems to be some complaining that insurance companies sometimes won't pay for more than one per month.

I'm trying to figure out why I need to change the pillow. I've been using the same pillow for about 20 days and it seems the same as when it was new, with no loss of flexibility, no more leaks than before.

So what will happen if I just continue to use the same pillow? Will it become toxic and I'll die from a terminally rotten nose? Will it explode in my face? Will it send a secret message to Resmed and they'll send goons out to make me buy more pillows? Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why change my Swift FX pillows?
My DME tells me that I'm supposed to change mine every two weeks. I usually don't change it more often than once a month. As you keep it clean by washing it in hot soapy water, I don't see why it would need to be changed anywhere near that often.

Like you, I don't detect any signs of wear.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My insurance will only pay to change my pillows once a month. I haven't changed mine in the 5 months that I've used them. I wipe them with unscented baby wipes about once a week. Occasionally I forget and the pillows don't get wiped off for two weeks. I have replacements ready for when they get soft or stiff.
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

Post Reply Post Reply
Gosh, I guess I go for 3 months. I wipe them off once a week or so. If I have a cold or allergies, I clean them off each morning.

Edited to add: I don't have the swift, I use the Breeze. I used the Swift LT or whatever for about 2 years. Never had an issue with the pillows.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I wash my pillows weekly and replace them about every 6 months. I've never noticed any difference in a new one versus a 6 month old one. When I had an online DME providing me supplies, they sent me a new mask every three months with pillows for every month.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-05-2012, 03:47 PM)bobg1946 Wrote: Send me a PM if you can use FREE large nasal pillows for the Respironics Optilife mask (they are in still in their original packaging).

Thanks for all the comments. I guess I won't worry about it. Still, it's strange that everything I read says you should change them every two weeks. Must be more phony scare tactics from Resmed's marketing department. Amazing that they even got insurance companies to go along with the scam.

And to add to bobg's offer, I have a large and a small pillow for the Swift FX, new in original packaging. Free to a good home, or I'll trade for mediums. Just send me a PM.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2012, 09:07 AM)JJJ Wrote: [quote='bobg1946' pid='9073' dateline='1336250840']Still, it's strange that everything I read says you should change them every two weeks. Must be more phony scare tactics from Resmed's marketing department. Amazing that they even got insurance companies to go along with the scam.

It's hard to say if it's a scam. The thing is, it's a device that makes contact with mucous membranes. There's therefore an increased risk of bacterial and viral infections.

Changing them every two weeks does seem excessive, though. It may be that I make mine last longer because I lubricate with lanolin.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I find that as they age they begin to hurt where they contact the nostril and take this as my indication that they need changed. Generally this seems to be from one to three months. Whether this might be from a gain or loss in resiliency, I have no idea. I wash them each week with the rest of my gear in dish soap and warm water.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using the same Swift FX Nasal Pillows (medium) for almost 2 years, I wash them periodically, thats all, never had a problem.
--==<< old, experienced, but still curious >>==--
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, but that's just gross. Even cleaning them, there's going to be crap in the pores.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 43 Yesterday, 02:48 PM
Last Post: coffee9724
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,455 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,781 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,716 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 394 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 400 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 319 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.