Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why change my Swift FX pillows?
RE: Why change my Swift FX pillows?
In Australia the insurance companies do not pay for CPAP consumables.

The average mask costs between $250 and $350 with replacment bits being stupid expensive.

My sleep clinic says to wash the mask bits daily and only replace them when they fail or leaks become a problem.

Since the nasal pillow material is impervious and easy to wash or even boil,germ build-up is a non-issue in my view.

I am still using the original Pilairo cushion that came with the mask 11 months ago... although the head gear failed at 10 months
Post Reply Post Reply
Every morning take if off and do you main thence. Have a mild soap by the sink. Do it while brushing your teeth. Let it soak and then when they with your teeth, take it out of your soaking solution, and use the mild soap in you hand and wash it gently. Then rinse with as hot water as you can stand. Then dry it well, even using Qtips to get all areas. Use it for a year if it stays comfortable and still looks clean. When it looks dirty, it probably is!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2012, 12:20 PM)ScottBerglin Wrote: I've been using the same Swift FX Nasal Pillows (medium) for almost 2 years, I wash them periodically, thats all, never had a problem.

Really, I haven't had problems with long use either. I guess I go a little under a year. I do clean them but not as much as some other folks do. Two each month? That is just silly. Besides I get a set of three sizes, what's up with that? Who needs three sizes? So I have three or four sets of tiny baby sized and really big nose guy sizes. That means I don't order new sets very often.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sandalbar,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh-jeez
Good thing you brought this topic up! I had no idea I was supposed to change my pillows even once a month let alone more often. Not only have I been using the same pillows since February --- I'm too lazy to wash my equipment more than once a month or less. I haven't noticed any equipment problems. If I leak it's not anymore than I ever leaked back in February (which isn't much) and I haven't noticed any changes in the fit of the pillows. I wonder why the (is it the manufacturer?) would want us purchasing pillows so often? Smile Hope this is helpful? - Barbara
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2013, 09:26 PM)SheltieRescueBarb Wrote: Good thing you brought this topic up! I had no idea I was supposed to change my pillows even once a month let alone more often. Not only have I been using the same pillows since February --- I'm too lazy to wash my equipment more than once a month or less.

I can get several months of use out of my nasal pillows, others report that they lose elasticity and need to be replaced.

As for cleaning, well, some people do it more often than others. I try to wash mine at least once a week, but sometimes I will go longer than that when I get lazy.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 44 Yesterday, 02:48 PM
Last Post: coffee9724
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,455 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,782 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,717 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 394 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 402 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 319 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.