Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Neti Pot linked to "brain eating amoeba"
RE: Neti Pot linked to "brain eating amoeba"
Stanjam Wrote:Wow, guess I am going back to boiling the water for my humidifier. I would consider a CPAP humidifier to be in the same danger range. Ugh. I hate boiling water all the time for my CPAP. Thought I would be okay because I have soft water. Now this!
Post Reply Post Reply
iSnooze Wrote:Stanjam: Do you use regular water from your tap? My DME said to use distilled water. She also added that if I'm traveling and can't get distilled water a night or two with bottled water would be OK but for the life of the machine and my health I should use distilled water.

I am glad you reposted the article that stated the water from the cpap machine doesn't go into our nose and lungs, just the humidity from it. That's comforting.
Post Reply Post Reply
zonk Wrote:Can germ pass from the humidifier to me ?

No, using a heated humidifier in line with your CPAP device will not cause you to become sick or give you germs. Fisher & Paykel Healthcare's heated humidifiers are pass-over humidifiers that do not produce aerosols (the fine water droplets that are visible to the eye such as steam from a kettle). Pass-over humidifiers add moisture in the form of water vapor. Water vapor particles are smaller than bacteria or viruses so it is impossible for them to be transported up to the mask (and then to you). Even if pathogens (germs) were able to exist in the chamber, they would not be able to be transported to you.

The important thing to remember is that all equipment (especially your mask) needs to be cleaned thoroughly on a regular basis, so that it does not become a desirable environment for bacteria to live and grow. Follow the cleaning instructions for all equipment to ensure proper hygiene and cleaning.

http://www.fphcare.com/osa/clinical-and-...qs.html#ns
Post Reply Post Reply
PaulaO Wrote:AND the important thing to remember is the water is FORCED up into the nose. Not air with water particles in it, but the water itself. Like from a netipot, a diver, or a jet ski.

Zonk, that's for that bit of info. Too many times new users feel confused and fearful over the "germs in the water are going up my nose" problem. I was the same way until I did a lot of research.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Symptoms] Terrible brain fog and tiredness despite low AHI - Can you see anything in OSCAR? youthfulapnea 7 547 04-11-2024, 02:59 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,275 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
Sad cause severe brain fog and unbearable headaches use cpap jiyun 1 132 04-09-2024, 08:26 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Low AHI, Brain Fog, Exhausted Help Please alwaystired17 3 278 03-29-2024, 02:55 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 290 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 764 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Brain Fog - seeking guidance in optimizing my therapy deocder 42 5,490 02-20-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: deocder

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.