Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why did I do that?
Why did I do that?
The other night I did my routine of putting on the mask, get into bed, turn on the machine, then go to sleep. The time i went to bed was about 11 PM. A few hours later I woke up and found my nasal mask on the floor! I picked it up, look at the time, it was 2 AM. I then looked at the hours used and it was only in use for an hour and a half.
I have no recollection of removing the mask and the mask is darn near impossible to come off by itself
Anyone else done anything strange during the night like this? I can only think either a bad dream or the mask was at the time uncomfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why did I do that?
I am having the same problem 2 months in. I actually managed to take off the wisp, and disconnect the hose, but not shut the machine down..... Weird!
Hopefully we can come up with a solution!
"I am not a Doctor, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Coastie,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might try sitting up and wearing your mask and using your machine during the evening as you read or watch tv. This will help you get used to this new way of sleeping.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2016, 12:26 AM)Want2SleepInMT Wrote: I am having the same problem 2 months in. I actually managed to take off the wisp, and disconnect the hose, but not shut the machine down..... Weird!
Hopefully we can come up with a solution!

I see I'm not alone. I don't think I shut the machine down, it does it after awhile with no pressure feedback. I hope this doesn't happen again to you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks trish6hundred.

I have a followup with the VA sleep clinic in a couple of weeks. They deal with many vets with sleep disorders so they probably have dealt with this. I'll see what they say and post the result.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's a very very common occurrence. I still do it after a couple of years. I've noted a couple of things which seem the trigger this in me... a) high leaks, which are sufficient to disturb my sleep (especially "face farting" or blowing into my eyes). b) High pressure or rapid pressure change. c) Rolling over in bed and getting tangled in the hose. Luckily SWMBO is pretty attuned to my sleeping patterns and will give me a nudge if I take it off.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, like he said, it is not uncommon. Some people do it nearly every night. If you find you are doing it on a regular basis, there's some things to do to help.

One is to do what Trish said. Wear it during the day, with the machine on, to get yourself used to it. Wear it while watching TV or reading or something, just so your brain and body think it is perfectly normal to have it on.

Attach the hose to your shirt or pillowcase so that when you take it off, it doesn't go far and the noise wakes you. Turn off the "auto start/stop" feature.

Also, check the data to see if the pressure went high or if you were having a big leak or if aliens were probing you prior to you removing the mask.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have read that some folks tape the mask and headgear to their face, so that when they try to remove it the tape will wake them up.
Post Reply Post Reply
I went to bed one night with my mask and machine on. The next morning I awoke with the mask hanging from the hose buddy and the machine was turned off. I have no memory of taking the mask off or turning the machine off. My wife verified I was using my cpap when I went to sleep.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do it all the time... sometimes I'll wake up (either in the of the middle of the night or in the morning) and find my mask on the floor, on the nightstand, laying on my pillow, wherever. Usually when I wake up I have no recollection of taking it off or know of any reason why I would. My wife has told me that she's seen me wake up from a dead sleep, take it off and go right back to sleep. Other times I'll keep it on all night long.

I think - but am not positive - that my nose gets stuffed up during the night and I can't breathe, so I take it off. But I don't have any way to prove that. Some nights I use a nasal spray (like Afrin) before going to bed, some nights I'll use a regular saline spray, other nights I'll use nothing but I haven't yet found a way to keep my nose clear all the time.

I guess I don't have any suggestions for you but can sympathize.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.